"Married" claiming JSA for 2nd time?

Options
I'm wondering if someone can help. In 2016 wife lost her job and signed on. She was allowed 6 months paid JSA which ended in March 2017.

She then went onto study and has now finished as of June 2018.

Will she be allowed to sign on again for another 6 months? is there a cooling off period?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gavin78 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if someone can help. In 2016 wife lost her job and signed on. She was allowed 6 months paid JSA which ended in March 2017.

She then went onto study and has now finished as of June 2018.

Will she be allowed to sign on again for another 6 months? is there a cooling off period?

Claiming for 6 months sounds like she was claiming contributions based JSA.
    Unless she has been working alongside studying she won't qualify for contributions based again.
  • Gavin78
    Gavin78 Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, We have a 4 year old child and they said after the 6 months she wouldn't need to sign on after that with having a child and the child benfit being paid to her she automatically has NI contributions paid.

So I wonder if this will make a difference. She has a meeting on Tuesday so will update this once I find out.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think you'll find that if she does apply for JSA, then it will be means tested - so it all depends on how much you earn.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gavin78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, We have a 4 year old child and they said after the 6 months she wouldn't need to sign on after that with having a child and the child benfit being paid to her she automatically has NI contributions paid.

So I wonder if this will make a difference. She has a meeting on Tuesday so will update this once I find out.
    The NI credits for receiving child benefit, don't qualify you for claiming contribution based JSA. For that she needs to have worked and paid enough NI in the qualifying 2 years (am not totally sure what they are but I'm going to guess at 15/16 and 16/17 - someone else will be able to either confirm this or state what they are).
  • Gavin78
    Gavin78 Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to update this thread, She was allowed to claim again. Not sure on what basis they worked it out on but it's been 2 years she she last worked and stopped claiming March last year. The only thing she didnt have to do was was sign on after March to keep her NI credits topped up as we have a child who is 4 they get paid in automatically.

So if this has been classed as the same thing I don't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure