Debt Written Off

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering in what circumstances creditors may agree to write off some my debt?

I am in a DMP and have been for almost 2 years now. However my wife's ill health means she has to reduce hours and therefore income. I have also recently had my car written off and have to cover the shortfall on the finance v what I was paid out by insurance as I didn't have GAP insurance.

The DMP payments are unsustainable and this will be the 4th time I have had to reduce what is being paid.

I have seen some people have been successful in getting debt written off from some creditors and wondered if this is a genuine option? Even if I get 1 or 2 written off I can repay others.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi LFCfan and welcome to MSE,

You can make a request to have the debts written off at any point, but please be aware that the creditor is more likely to consider this if you have very little or no money to pay towards the debt (and that is unlikely to improve), no assets, and potentially a health issue that may mean you are considered to be vulnerable. If the debts in the DMP are in your sole name, your wife's health may have less sway.

If you request a write off you can use our sample letter, include a budget to show how little you could pay, and a letter from a doctor/ medical professional about any health issues. Please remember that it is at the lenders discretion, but if they refuse the first request, you can try again and make a second request.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • LFCfan
    LFCfan Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks for your response.

I'll give it a go and see what they say, I've been able to pay up until now but its getting too much and I may have to start defaulting otherwise and file for bankruptcy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure