Dismissed for gross misconduct - getting new job

Options
ultimatron
ultimatron Posts: 4 Newbie
Quite a peculiar situation here:
I got fired for gross misconduct (due to a few unauthorised absences) one year into my first job out of uni. It is in the financial sector but not a regulated role. After I left the company, I found another job, but is an internship in a regulated role which will lead on to a full time regulated role (client facing). During the application process I never got once asked about reasons for leaving or whether I got dismissed, not even on the application form or background checks, probably due to it being another graduate entry level role. However I'm worried if I get the full time job they will do further background checks and FCA registration which may reveal it? My previous employer has said they will reveal the disciplinary action against me if I applied for a regulated role, but only if it is 'relevant', not sure what they mean by that?
What should I do? Do I have anything to worry about?

Comments

• John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, there is a good chance that they will ask for references and ask why you left the previous job. The regulator wants to ensure probity, there is a fit and proper persons bar to be passed. Each banking job I have taken has wanted a detailed history of the past ten years.

Have you dealt with whatever issue you had that caused you to take unauthorised absences?
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I may be looking too much into it, but it seems a bit odd that you describe being sacked for unauthorised absences as "gross misconduct".

Gross misconduct is only usually used when the employee makes a really bad mistake which requires instant dismissal. If it was just merely an attendance issue then they'd just take you down the normal disciplinary route to manage that, unless of course your attendance was crucial in some way (like, for example, a care worker informing their employer that they are supervising patient X when in fact they are at home; that could be gross misconduct).

I think you need to be honest if this question is asked (don't volunteer the info unless asked). Also be honest with yourself in your own failings and seek to improve upon this.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Financial services employers will often only provide generic references confirming job title and dates of employment.

However, if your new job requires a regulated reference, the reference would be more detailed.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ultimatron wrote: »
    Quite a peculiar situation here:
    I got fired for gross misconduct (due to a few unauthorised absences) one year into my first job out of uni. It is in the financial sector but not a regulated role. After I left the company, I found another job, but is an internship in a regulated role which will lead on to a full time regulated role (client facing). During the application process I never got once asked about reasons for leaving or whether I got dismissed, not even on the application form or background checks, probably due to it being another graduate entry level role. However I'm worried if I get the full time job they will do further background checks and FCA registration which may reveal it? My previous employer has said they will reveal the disciplinary action against me if I applied for a regulated role, but only if it is 'relevant', not sure what they mean by that?
    What should I do? Do I have anything to worry about?

I think you might have something to worry about if you have to go through the sort of process a graduate family member of mine went through. The intern part was fine, only basic checks, but when a substantive job was offered HR went into everything, and all dates on the CV, including a period of sickness between a masters and PHD had to be accounted for, which meant calls to uni to get written proof of allowed sickness absence and extension on PHD.
    Les79 wrote: »
    I may be looking too much into it, but it seems a bit odd that you describe being sacked for unauthorised absences as "gross misconduct".

s.

I can think of several reasons why not turning up for work, especially if warnings or something untoward was going on- could be considered gross misconduct. OP may not wish to elaborate on the real reason and glossing it over as merely unauthorised absences can save a lot of embarrassment.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ultimatron
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    I think you might have something to worry about if you have to go through the sort of process a graduate family member of mine went through. The intern part was fine, only basic checks, but when a substantive job was offered HR went into everything, and all dates on the CV, including a period of sickness between a masters and PHD had to be accounted for, which meant calls to uni to get written proof of allowed sickness absence and extension on PHD.

I can think of several reasons why not turning up for work, especially if warnings or something untoward was going on- could be considered gross misconduct. OP may not wish to elaborate on the real reason and glossing it over as merely unauthorised absences can save a lot of embarrassment.

Basically I didn't turn up for a few of the graduate training sessions (and not informing them about the absence), not actual work though.

Anyway does it automatically mean I cannot work in a regulated role?
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Basically I didn't turn up for a few of the graduate training sessions (and not informing them about the absence), not actual work though.

Yes.

In addition, ifyou can’t be arsed to do the basic required training nor have the manners to let your bosses know, it’s not the career for you.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • ultimatron
    Options
    John-K wrote: »
    Yes, there is a good chance that they will ask for references and ask why you left the previous job. The regulator wants to ensure probity, there is a fit and proper persons bar to be passed. Each banking job I have taken has wanted a detailed history of the past ten years.

Have you dealt with whatever issue you had that caused you to take unauthorised absences?

Yes. It is now a year since that happened. How do you think I should explain to my employer if the reference shows up?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Those training days probably costs hundreds of pounds and would have been very competitive to get into. You must be able to see why not bothering to go would be such an issue for a potential employer who may be looking to invest a lot of money into your further training.

However, none of us here can tell you what your new employers will be told and what they will do with that information. Perhaps have a word with them in advance and confess that something might turn up if they do a thorough check.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • John-K_3
    Options

No, not automatically. The restrictions on regulated roles are around issues such as integrity, honesty, and financial probity. Jumping the barrier to avoid a train fare (for example) could be viewed as worse in this respect than a conviction for drink driving.

One ex-colleague of mine had a job offer rescinded as he did not own up to a caution for shoplifting from decades ago. His honesty was questioned, and that was enough to cost him the job.
  • John-K_3
    Options
    Yes. It is now a year since that happened. How do you think I should explain to my employer if the reference shows up?

That is a bit of a tough one, what was the actual reason?

As I write above, this does not mean that the regulator will have any issue with you, but The employer may. Be honest. If it was the idiocy of youth then say so.

Again, despite what people may think of banking, we tend to demand, not request, absolute honesty. Do not go into this with a lie if asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure