How to work out interest difference over 5 years?

Options
I’m hopeless at maths and numbers and was wondering if anyone could give me a brief explanation on how to work out percentage difference over 5 years.

Basically one rate is 2.04%
And other is 1.92%

Total borrowing amount is £217500 over 30 year period but I want to know how much the difference will be for 5 years between the 2 rates above.

Really confused and was wondering if there was a simple calculation I could follow.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DingerUK
    DingerUK Posts: 65 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try this: hxxps://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1157173
  • 2004nsnazir
    2004nsnazir Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    The link doesn’t seem to work??
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The difference is 0.12%

0.12% of £217,500 is £261. That!!!8217;s the approximate difference in year one. Although the capital reduces over five years you can say a £1,250 cost over 5 years is accurate enough.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As amnblog has explaimed it pretty much is as simple as working out the difference between the two rates and then multiplying that by the total sum borrowed per year and then multiplying that by the years. .

Yes if you did it exactly there will be a few pounds difference between approximate and exact but it's not worth the detailed extra calculations when simple gets you within a few quid.
  • 2004nsnazir
    Options
    amnblog wrote: »
    The difference is 0.12%

0.12% of £217,500 is £261. That!!!8217;s the approximate difference in year one. Although the capital reduces over five years you can say a £1,250 cost over 5 years is accurate enough.

Thank you so im looking at paying £1250 approx? more if I go with the higher rate. I'm going with 5 years fixed for now. The higher rate is with Halifax and I think they have been more helpful to us than the other bank offering lower rate. With Cash back and fees we are only paying £200 to get the mortgage.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry to be dim but assuming both are 5 year, what benefit are you gaining by paying HSBC £1250 more? If you put that into your pension, in 25 years time it could easily be £5k (in today's money)
  • 2004nsnazir
    Options
    Hsbc to me seem will be a long process. we need to move forward quick as it has been some weeks since offer has been accepted.

We are quite young buyers purchasing a big house and I don't think they will scrutinise our outgoings a lot
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I’m hopeless at maths and numbers and was wondering if anyone could give me a brief explanation on how to work out percentage difference over 5 years.

Basically one rate is 2.04%
    And other is 1.92%

Total borrowing amount is £217500

over 30 year period but I want to know how much the difference will be for 5 years between the 2 rates above.

Really confused and was wondering if there was a simple calculation I could follow.

Thanks in advance

The simple way which gets close is rate difference * amount borrowed * years

(longer the term the closer it gets)

Then we have (0.0204-0.0192) * 217500 * 5 = £1305

for repayment over 30 years we need to look at the payments as lower rate has a lower payment but pays the debt off quicker as well.

Payments will be £808.28 and £795.25 and after 5 years be left with £189,824 or £189,358

(808.28-795.25)*12*5 + 189824 - 189358 = £1248

investing the difference in payments in paying of more debt

Making the payments both £808 you are left with £189,824 or £188,556

The real difference is closer to £1268

Then you need to factor in the difference in costs and other considerations like which have a history of lower fees and better retentions rate.
  • SouthLondonUser
    SouthLondonUser Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As others have said, obviously if you have an interest only mortgage then the principal doesn't amortise, i.e. you owe the same balance throughout the term of the mortgage, so the difference is simply 217,500 x (2.04% - 1.92%) x 5 = 1,305

In reality,we are talking about an amortising mortgage. Let's say (I'm making the numbers up) that your debt is 100,000 and your monthly instalment is 400. The first month, you pay, let's say, 170 of interest and 230 of capital, for a total of 400. On the second month, your capital has gone down to 100,000 - 230; you still pay 400 the 2nd month, but this 400 is now made up of a greater portion of capital and a smaller portion of interest, because the debt on which you pay interest had gone down.

Back to your example and your numbers: If you don't know your way around spreadsheets, you can use one of the many loan or mortgage calculator apps. Over 5 years, at 2.04% you'll end up paying 20,454 of interest vs 19,228 of interest at 1.92%. The difference is 1,226 , which is very close to 1,305. It is close because your mortgage lasts 30 years, so over 5 years it doesn't amortise by a huge amount.

If you recalculate the same number with a 6-year mortgage, instead of a 5-year, the difference shrinks to 799. Why? Because now the whole mortgage lasts 6 years, so most of it will have amortised by the end of year 5.

@getmore4less, I don't understand where you got your numbers; the payments are not 808 and 795 - I guess you must have made some confusion.

@OP, you should be aware that getmore4less likes this approach of making the total payment the same when comparing two mortgages; I don't like it because in most cases it is a theoretical exercise with no practical application: unless you can be bothered to remember to make an extra manual payment of £15, or whatever the difference is, every month, which I know I can't be bothered with, it remains a theoretical point, because many banks don't allow you to set up a regular overpayment every month. This is why I prefer to calculate and compare the interest cost over a given period, because that's the real cost you end up paying in case you don't manually overpay every month (which 99% of borrowers won't). Up to you to decide which approach makes more sense to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure