Unenforceable CCA

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If the default has dropped off your file, nothing can bring it back.

They cant do anything except spout hot air.

I would excercise caution for now though, as when debts are sold, no paperwork changes hands, they always have to go back to the original creditor to satisfy a CCA request.

You can with hold payment until the OC contacts you, as its entirly possible they may still have paperwork, wait until they confirm if they have it or not.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • catflap11
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    If the default has dropped off your file, nothing can bring it back.

They cant do anything except spout hot air.

I would excercise caution for now though, as when debts are sold, no paperwork changes hands, they always have to go back to the original creditor to satisfy a CCA request.

You can with hold payment until the OC contacts you, as its entirly possible they may still have paperwork, wait until they confirm if they have it or not.

Thanks, I have gone back to them with a low ball F&F offer letter using the template. if they reject it or find the paperwork then I can negotiate with them at that point.
  • jcorbygas
    Options
    Dont want to put a downer on this but we had 2 debts with Idem from MBNA.
    I requested CCA in mid June - they wrote end of June saying cant supply at present etc but at the end of November they wrote again with a copy of the actual signed by me application form and terms and conditions and the same with the other debt.

I wrote and advised that I would be paying them a token amount on each one which is nowhere as much as I was paying for 6 years via Stepchange and I hope that I can offer full and finals in a couple of years time.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jcorbygas wrote: »
    Dont want to put a downer on this but we had 2 debts with Idem from MBNA.
    I requested CCA in mid June - they wrote end of June saying cant supply at present etc but at the end of November they wrote again with a copy of the actual signed by me application form and terms and conditions and the same with the other debt.

I wrote and advised that I would be paying them a token amount on each one which is nowhere as much as I was paying for 6 years via Stepchange and I hope that I can offer full and finals in a couple of years time.

Don't believe that because they sent you a CCA and signed application form that it is enforceable. We had a £12k MBNA debt and they supplied everything, including every statement, the actual applciation form we signed... the lot. However, after having the documentation checked in was 100% UNENFORCEABLE :j

Theses vultures rely on the probability that consumers will just think, oh goodness they had the paperwork, that means it's enforceable. Sometimes it's the T&Cs that make it unenforceable. In our case it was a term on the application form we signed which was never made available to us at the time of signing (or something like that). I would never had known if I hadn't taken advice :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • catflap11
    Options
    Thanks all, that's why I thought id get in now with a F&F offer, on the chance they find something in the future.
  • catflap11
    Options
    Don't believe that because they sent you a CCA and signed application form that it is enforceable. We had a £12k MBNA debt and they supplied everything, including every statement, the actual applciation form we signed... the lot. However, after having the documentation checked in was 100% UNENFORCEABLE :j

Theses vultures rely on the probability that consumers will just think, oh goodness they had the paperwork, that means it's enforceable. Sometimes it's the T&Cs that make it unenforceable. In our case it was a term on the application form we signed which was never made available to us at the time of signing (or something like that). I would never had known if I hadn't taken advice :)
    Thanks for that, as a matter of interest who did you get to check the T&Cs?
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    catflap11 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, as a matter of interest who did you get to check the T&Cs?

I joined another site called All about debt. They have expert knowledge in this area, but also run my documentation past the solicitor they retain. No cost to me for her just to look at and come back with UE :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • catflap11
    Options
    Brilliant thank you!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Idem took me all the way to court and it came to the final hearing and they asked for Tomlin orders and all sorts and I continued to ask for proof the debt was mine and at the last minute they halted proceedings because they couldn't offer proof.

The letter said they ' reserve the right' to continue court action if the proof turns up but given it was going through the courts for 9 months and the debt was apparently signed for 16yrs ago its unlikely.

I have asked Step change what I should do about stopping the payments to them and have yet to hear.
  • catflap11
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    Idem took me all the way to court and it came to the final hearing and they asked for Tomlin orders and all sorts and I continued to ask for proof the debt was mine and at the last minute they halted proceedings because they couldn't offer proof.

The letter said they ' reserve the right' to continue court action if the proof turns up but given it was going through the courts for 9 months and the debt was apparently signed for 16yrs ago its unlikely.

I have asked Step change what I should do about stopping the payments to them and have yet to hear.

Thanks for that, to be honest, if IDEM do produce a valid CCA I will just come to an agreement with them for repayment and look to negotiate a settlement at a later date. As a matter of interest, roughly how much would IDEM have paid for the debt? (i've heard it can be as low as 30p in the pound).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure