PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Money Saving Expert / CAB pilot service

Options

Comments

• John_Pierpoint
    Options
    It is only one extra click.

I think the rule should be:
    Let the CAB representative issue the official detailed explanation & advice and only then let us "amateurs" point out draw-backs and suggest additional streetwise points.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    It is only one extra click.

Do you mean the message that you need to click on to get through to the board? I've only seen that once so I assume that there is a cookie for that now. Having moaned this morning, I take it back to some extent beause MSE including this board is working OK for me now, but on days when pages are slow to load, the CAB board is always the worst.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 August 2012 at 4:08AM
    Options
    Perhaps it depends on one's rout into the thread, as I've not had to click it this time, but must have clicked it half a dozen times last week using my Firefox browser. Perhaps the "all cookies cleared" message only applies when one positively signs out rather than allow the session to time out?

& it is two clicks - one to tick the box and one to continue:D
  • enabledebra
    enabledebra Posts: 8,075 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies if I have missed some info but this board is raising a lot of questions for me.

Ignoring the straight practicalities of the format, where’s the quality assurance? Given that the specific threads are ‘official’ (and this is becoming more overtly stated by MSE) there is an accompanying expectation that posters can reasonably rely on (and act on) responses. So where’s the complaints procedure or published quality standards that usually underpin the adviser/client relationship? What happens if bad advice is acted upon? I assume the various CABx indemnity insurance covers this? Or is this forum an unofficial ‘official ‘ source of advice? I haven’t seen any robust disclaimers so I’m assuming posters can expect the same protection afforded by visiting a CAB. I'm really not trying to be pedantic - it's a fundamental issue.
  • enabledebra
    Options
    Whilst looking for info on my queries above I found a feedback form:

"Feedback to Citizens Advice

We are unable to answer advice related queries via this website. If you need advice or details of your local Citizens Advice Bureau please see Get advice."

I think the messages this board is giving are mixed to say the least. Clarity would be very welcome, and I would say advisable, - I mean advisable 'unofficially' of course : )
  • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver
    Options
    Maybe CAB can see our Welfare Rights and Consumer Rights awareness??!! a good thing IMHO.
    From where I see it MSE has a long way to go but there are some good Posters and Posts on the Board.
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
    Options
    I think if CAB and MSE go into it gently rather than all guns blazing it is better for the side rather than a bull in a china shop. I think a gradual approach is best.
    There is plenty of discussion on Benefits threads to help people ( I would not use them but use Benefits and Work and Guardian first before consulting this and other Boards ie Urban 75 who has a great Welfare emphasis).
    So for me this is supplement,only CAB would be the main Course?
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    Options
    I hope CAB can operate all sorts of Services Video SKYPE? MSN etc plus email TV? radio as we are in the 21st century not 19th.
    But gently does it.
    Evolution not revolution to get to know the forum. I for one hope this experiment succeeds because it is well overdue making MSE a terrible place to get Benefits help rather than it's amazing excellence, fantasticness, amazingness etc when push comes to the shity shove.
  • enabledebra
    Options
    I was very happy to see this board start up as I feel some other boards can be intimidating for posters wanting advice. I do think though that the concept is increasing showing itself to be unsuited to this forum as it is not actually operating as a forum but trying to be something else. Each tweek that is made to try and put a square peg in a round hole raises more questions than it answers. It would be much more appropriate for CAB to offer this service via it's own site(s) and MSE users can be signposted to it via appropriate boards.
  • Former_MSE_Wendy
    Options
    Hello all

I wanted to try and answer some of the recent thoughts on the CAB board – which are always welcome of course so thanks J

The reps have recently started trying a new way of allocating questions. This should mean that hopefully everyone, including those in the non-included areas, are getting a reply of some description. We do not want anyone to feel ignored but do want to be realistic about the potential need to wait a few days for a reply – as I believe can be the case for someone going to their local bureau.

The CAB reps are responding to posts as quickly as they can, often under the 2 working days guidelines, but to follow their standard quality assurance process they may need to get things checked by a supervisor and may not be full time staff or volunteers.

We have started slowly so that the reps get used to the forum and we can learn and adapt as we go. I think we’ve improved things in the last few months and hopefully continue to do so during the pilot stage.

As suggested, yes I believe the usual indemnity insurance does apply in the same way that it would for someone going to a bureau so posters can reasonably rely on (and act on) responses. If anyone has concerns on the advice given please fill in the feedback from linked in the top post on this thread.

Many thanks

MSE Wendy
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure