Options
2»

Comments

• hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DoogleArse wrote: »
    I see I'm still causing confusion, the 3-1% was a separate agreement between the company and the Union, the contributions from the company have remained the same, I am still in a DB scheme that ends in December

So basically, to put a break on costs, the company first capped pensionable pay increases for final salary scheme members to 3%, then subsequently to only 1%.

For someone much younger than yourself, this sort of thing actually makes a final salary scheme unattractive compared to a decent DC scheme. Depending on how long ago the capping first happened, it might even make a generous DC scheme (so, not the statutory minimum!) a better option for yourself, or at least not particularly worse, especially if you have a 40 year maximum accrual in the DB scheme.
    moving to what looks like a DC system but no doubt with a reduced contribution from the company (currently they put 12%)

12% for a DC scheme is excellent by the way.
    we have no detail at all yet as regards how it will look as the consultation period doesn't start until May 3rd

I wouldn't get hung up about losing DB - key thing is for a good DC settlement to be negotiated.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DoogleArse wrote: »
    I am still in a DB scheme that ends in December moving to what looks like a DC system but no doubt with a reduced contribution from the company (currently they put 12%) we have no detail at all yet as regards how it will look

What the company is currently putting in to the DB arrangement will vary according to the funding position of the scheme, so you can't equate the current 12% contribution to that with whatever the company proposes to offer by way of an employer contribution to a DC arrangement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure