PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How much???

Options
13»

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A market you say? They're as rare as hen's teeth .... and one is usually pricier than a cheap value bag of products in a supermarket.

Markets, where they exist, have mostly gentrified in the last 20 years; they're the "must be seen at" venue for the middle classes.
    I'm genuinely surprised; we have a really good F&V stall at Central MK market, and I get all my F&V there, as it's better quality and cheaper than any of the supermarkets. Oh well, perhaps MK is the exception rather than the rule. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised; we have a really good F&V stall at Central MK market, and I get all my F&V there, as it's better quality and cheaper than any of the supermarkets. Oh well, perhaps MK is the exception rather than the rule. :o

Lucky you, our market sounds similar to PN's, the F & V stall is dearer than the greengrocer. I assume the people who use the F & V stall "think" it is cheaper
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't buy yorkshire puddings- so long as I can find my electric mixer I'm ok at them.
    Preprepared veg- I'm thinking about it these days as I simply don't eat enough veg and the hassle of prepping it and then disposing of the bits and the rest of the bag when it decompses in the bottom of the fridge...
    I am wondering if it would be an idea to try.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I guess I am just a bit too frugal :) but to me ,although I too live alone , find buying fruit and veg OK.There is no longer a street market near to me but I am lucky enough to be able to drive to a farm shop which is pretty good.

When I was up in Manchester last year on holiday I went to probably one of the best markets I have seen for ages and it was in Bury,(also got a chance to pop and see my nephew who is a vicar in Tottington).

Bury market was great.it seems markets are perhaps more popular the further north you go, as a couple of years ago I wandered around Leek market in Staffordshire.

Not quite so many down south though .I know there is one in Canterbury but its a bit on the pricey side .

There is one a couple of miles from me in Gillingham but its gone very downhill lately and nothing is worth buying there (mostly plastic tat) and few decent F&V stalls at all.

I spend probably about a third of my food budget on Fruit and Veg and the bargains to be had via Aldi's or Lidls are pretty good, if you examine the stuff closely enough.

I invariably have left over things when I am cooking, but I don't mind as I can either freeze stuff or use it in other meals

When I was first widowed in 2003 I lived for the first year on jacket spuds and toast not very healthy at all and it was a CBA sort of way of life.Then I had a bit of a light bulb moment and thought 'why I am eating stuff I am not even very keen on' so I changed my ways and ate more healthily and now I have zero waste ,thanks to my freezer and menu planning.

I suppose its your own personal choice what you eat ,but I do try to make sure that I eat regularly and not eat 'something quick' I wouldn't be doing my health any good eating like that, and at my age I want to live as long as I can :):):) I never eat junk food anyway and never have as I just think its a total waste of time and money. I probably eat pretty old fashioned by some standards but I have been doing it for over 60 + years and not likely to change now .I enjoy salad and HM soups and stews and pretty plain cooking. Re the yorkies I would make half a dozen and freeze the ones I didn't eat. But I still make them with a bowl and a fork(forks wash up easier :))

:):) JackieO xx
  • Finefoot
    Finefoot Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    While I like the convenience of prepared vegetable, I refuse to pay the price. So whenever I shop, its usually followed by my food processor making an appearance. My dexterity is not what it used to be, and like the op, I wouldnt want to serve my fingers in the okra.
    Loving the sunny days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport