Is this possible?

Options
Hi there , i dont know if ths is even possible... but here goes..

My friend told me abot 2 years ago he managed to find some programs that he could run on his desktop, and essentially it was filled with adverts. But for every hour or so he kept it running he earned about 50p!

I dont know if anybody knows where to get hold of anything like that, but id definitely be interested!

I know some programs often require you to click something every 30 seconds or so so that it knows you arent just leaving it, and are paying attention to the adverts. But this is easy enough to handle with an automated mouse program.

Any ideas?? Bit of a wierd one i know! but coming up to xmas, every little helps!!

ps. i am fully loaded with adware removers, antivirus and bot checkers so safety isnt really an issue, plus i could run it on an old laptop i never use!

Comments

• djheath
    djheath Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gee that brings back memories!! I used to do this in the old days - well 1999 - 2000.

It was a program you signed up for and you had a banner ad on your computer every time you went on the internet. You would be paid on the time you spent online. I dont ever remember making any money out of it, since I was never online enough to build up the minimum pay out amount!!

I dont think anything is much like this today, since the days of broadband, people can just leave their PC's on and connected 24/7!!

Dont know if people pay you for just having adverts though, but I reckon they will be on a click to earn basis.

Edit, think it was called surf to pay or surf to earn something like that!
  • NovaBlack_2
    Options
    cheers! at least i know they (used to) exist!

Anyone else know anything?

a pay per click basis woulndt be so bad either with automated clicking :P
  • Skeksis
    Skeksis Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    NovaBlack wrote: »
    Hi there , i dont know if ths is even possible... but here goes..

My friend told me abot 2 years ago he managed to find some programs that he could run on his desktop, and essentially it was filled with adverts. But for every hour or so he kept it running he earned about 50p!

I dont know if anybody knows where to get hold of anything like that, but id definitely be interested!

I know some programs often require you to click something every 30 seconds or so so that it knows you arent just leaving it, and are paying attention to the adverts. But this is easy enough to handle with an automated mouse program.

Any ideas?? Bit of a wierd one i know! but coming up to xmas, every little helps!!

ps. i am fully loaded with adware removers, antivirus and bot checkers so safety isnt really an issue, plus i could run it on an old laptop i never use!

Ah, that brings back memories of the now defunct US 'Alladvantage' program, that cycled advertising banners on your desktop, I did actually get a cheque worth about £10 from them!!
  • simonts
    simonts Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Skeksis wrote: »
    Ah, that brings back memories of the now defunct US 'Alladvantage' program, that cycled advertising banners on your desktop, I did actually get a cheque worth about £10 from them!!

Alladvantage probably went bust because of our IT Dept :rotfl:

It was so easy to spoof live connections, get away with multiple accounts and pyramid you sign ups...

We had the banners running on every machine in the company over night with mouse movers and pre determined lists of sites it would go to...The cheques were rolling in
    Debt Free Marathon: Start 01/06/09 £16714 - Current Position £14514 - Finish Line Xmas 2010
  • NovaBlack_2
    Options
    hahah thats what i was thinking of doing! lol

so no word on wether these things still exist in some form?
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HAHAHA!! That was it, All Advantage! I thought it was going to pay for my student debt, but unfortunately never worked!!
  • homeworkeruk
    Options
    AllAdvantage was incredible - I earned over £1000 in the few months it ran, but unfortunately the dot com crash made it unsustainable. Some of the original founders have recently relaunched a similar bar called Agloco, but it's still in very early stages and not paying out more than a token amount yet. Another one I use is from Eurokiddies which is a French site, but is available in Britain if you understand (or can use Google translator) basic French. Nothing like AllAdvantage figures though - more like a few euros a month. There are other french sites as well but I haven't tried them out.
  • martyn4764
    Options
    There are other french sites as well but I haven't tried them out.

Hi

Any chance you could post links to those, if you have them, please?
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some of the original founders have recently relaunched a similar bar called Agloco, but it's still in very early stages and not paying out more than a token amount yet.

When I looked at that they were "paying" one share in the company for each hour surfed.
  • homeworkeruk
    Options
    martyn4764 wrote: »
    Hi

Any chance you could post links to those, if you have them, please?

Try the following: Cashbarre, ec-Barre, Smartbarre, eurobarre, madbarre, lovebarre, autobarre, eurokdo, moneycashbar, autobar-surf

I think they're all .com or .net but I haven't tried them out so I don't know what the pay rates are like or even the reliability of the surfbars. There are probably several more. If you do a search on Google for 2 or more from the list you'll probably find a blog or two with a longer list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure