Will my ex staying to help with our newborn effect hb?

I became pregnant with my then boyfriend in Australia. Despite only being together a short while we tried to make it work. However, due to many factors it didn't work out and I returned to the UK when my visa expired last week. I intend to work for the next 3 months and then claim housing benefit when the child is born as I am not entitled to MA having worked in Australia for much of my pregnancy rather than here. My ex and I are still friends and he really wants a part in our child's life. He is intending to come here for the birth and stay for a few weeks to help out. It would be better for everyone concerned if he stayed with me and the child. While he is willing to pay maintenance towards the child's upbringing, I think it's unfair to ask him for rent when he's here helping as he works on commission in Australia so he'll be earning nothing while he's here. Also, he has no right to work in the UK and he's too old to get a working holiday. Will I have to wait until he leaves to claim hb? If so, I know it will be a struggle as I have very limited savings. Would it be best to have him stay at a friends? It would be a great shame not to have him there for everyone involved. Thanks.

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2012 at 9:59AM
    Not sure about the benefits thing but if your ex is Australian, make sure his name is on the birth certificate and then get the baby's birth registered with the Australian High Commission in the UK. This will entitle the baby to Australian citizenship and will give him/her more choices when they are an adult. You can hold both UK and Australian passports.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Milly915 wrote: »
    I became pregnant with my then boyfriend in Australia. Despite only being together a short while we tried to make it work. However, due to many factors it didn't work out and I returned to the UK when my visa expired last week. I intend to work for the next 3 months and then claim housing benefit when the child is born as I am not entitled to MA having worked in Australia for much of my pregnancy rather than here. My ex and I are still friends and he really wants a part in our child's life. He is intending to come here for the birth and stay for a few weeks to help out. It would be better for everyone concerned if he stayed with me and the child. While he is willing to pay maintenance towards the child's upbringing, I think it's unfair to ask him for rent when he's here helping as he works on commission in Australia so he'll be earning nothing while he's here. Also, he has no right to work in the UK and he's too old to get a working holiday. Will I have to wait until he leaves to claim hb? If so, I know it will be a struggle as I have very limited savings. Would it be best to have him stay at a friends? It would be a great shame not to have him there for everyone involved. Thanks.

Hi
    People who are subject to immigration control or don’t usually live in the UK are not usually entitled to housing benefit and should seek advice before claiming. You might need to visit your local CAB on this - www.citizensadvice.org.uk will give you the address and opening times.

The local authority are likely to regard the father of your child as part of your household and therefore your HB claim would include his income and savings which would then be added to yours in any entitlement calculation. Of course, you would then be able to amend your claim once you were on your own again.
    It may be simpler if he lived elsewhere, but if you want be more certain of the consequences of claiming when your ex is living with you then please seek an appointment at your local CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure