-£99,152 net worth - scary figure

Options

Comments

• charliedavis
    Options
    mfmaybe this is so true. And in fact kidding myself we could pay it off in large chunks was part of what got me here in the first place - as I would have a month where a client would pay £8k in full and I would just pay off the credit card in one go. Then I got to the point where stress and anxiety wouldn't allow me to do this anymore, and I find myself here. So absolutely yes I need to keep focused on this, and for people to point things out to me when I start slipping.

We are definitely moving to a rented property half the price in August when our 2 year fixed agreement ends which will save £1400 per month, and I've cut quite a few bills so far and will continue to work on the rest. Our miscellaneous/entertainment budget has been cut from £200 per week (and we used to exceed it!) to £100 per week and now is at £40 per week so far for example, I don't want to cut it down much further at the moment. Unbelievably, both kids were in private school until very recently when we withdrew them both (well actually DS got kicked out). I look at the budget and our lifestyle and think how stupid we've been. We "ought" to be so much better off than we are.

I've been reading a lot too, the Millionaire Next Door is fascinating as it talks about the fact that most millionaires don't "spend spend spend" - they actually got there from being thrifty. I feel like I'm having a lot of revelations at the moment, just want to ensure I keep on working on the debt at this level.
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You won't be the first to think their disposable income is higher than it actually is, and you won't be the last! It certainly sounds like you are focussed on the task at hand and that's fantastic. I referenced TOPM's diary - she confesses all on hers, and has a loyal bunch of supporters who gently steer her away from the abyss. This diary will make all the difference to changing those habits. Best of luck :)
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • charliedavis
    charliedavis Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 November 2018 at 6:13PM
    Options
    Just tried on one of my size 10 suits and discovered it doesn't fit, then measured myself and realised I had put 2 inches across my waist and now a size 12!
    These past few weeks of budget eating have resulted in me putting weight on - aargh! We also stopped our gym membership too so haven't been doing hardly any exercise.

Aargh! Anyone else experienced this? I've found that to cut our grocery bill down so drastically I've been replacing salads with sandwiches, meat and veg with pasta etc - it's all carbs!
  • charliedavis
    Options
    Broke our 4th NSD yesterday by dropping DD at Brownies and needing to give her £5 for the charity event. Does that count do you reckon lol?

Need more drinks today for packed lunches so today won't be an NSD.

OH working with me in the office and I showed him the snowball debt destroyer so he understood it. I think he's not happy that it's my larger debts being paid off first rather than his smaller ones though :-(
  • charliedavis
    Options
    Set up YNAB yesterday finally thanks to the YT videos for Nick True that made it sooooo easy to understand.

Shows a negative net worth of £46606 as it doesn’t include the loans.

Working on paying off the larger card first which was £22,0000 and is now at £17,906 but it feels like it will take forever. I can see why people pay off smaller cards first - it was very satisfying paying off the next bill for £450 then ringing up to cancel it.

Been reading other debt free diaries which is really helping - especially the payment a day. Will look into that further.

Currently on a business trip - even using money saving here as I had free lounge passes to use at the airport to save paying for tea/coffee/wine(!).

Ynab will now my main source of updating the balances here.

So currently we are at

Cc1 £17906 (was £22,000)
    Cc2 £12,808
    Cc3 £6,664
    Cc4 £6,322
    Cc5 £4,875

Ef currently stands at £1000.13 and I want to get it to 3 months income - £10,500
    Other savings for when we move in August stands at £200 out of the £3000 needed

Not sure whether to include the loans here too or focus on them last as they get paid off in a weird way (extra payments just reduces the monthly payment not the term)

Off out for a meal this evening using Tesco Clubcard vouchers - looking forward to that
  • charliedavis
    Options
    Just wanted to add that digging out past tax returns - my income 2 years ago was £162,000(!) so around 3 x higher than present, and OH was working part-time then. Kind of makes sense to think how we ended up with such high expenditure as we just increased our outgoings to match very foolishly - then when my income decreased due to my health (stress) we ended up in debt. Feel stupid that we have nothing to show for it... I’m determined to fix it once and for all
  • charliedavis
    Options
    Ooh forgot to say another NSD yesterday except for a £1.50 bottle of water at the airport once through security
  • runninglea
    Options
    Most people who start to earn more will therefore spend accordingly.

Your rent is massive and once you have cut this in half your debts will be able to reduce quicker.

Meal wise - start making extra at night so you can have for your lunch the next day. Normal meals such as spaghetti bol etc are easy and cheap.

I've started using the slow cooker and putting a lamb shank in, loads of veg, some sweet potatoes and it tastes even better next day for lunch
    Year 2019 (1,700/£17000mortgage repayment)Overall mortgage (71,400/165568) (44
    .1%) (42/100) payments made. Total paid 2019 year £1,700

Total paid 2017 year £15,300Total paid 2018 year £13,600
  • charliedavis
    Options
    Had a money saving birthday party for DD today - normally it would cost us £200 to £250 at least, but we instead opted for a sleepover party which has cost us £18 on food and that’s it, all the kids loved it so it worked out amazingly well.

Still getting to grips with YNAB but finding the fact OH has cash all the time a real issue as I can’t track it. Finding my spreadsheets easier to keep an eye on still at the mo
  • charliedavis
    charliedavis Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 November 2018 at 12:37PM
    Options
    With DD birthday on Sunday I haven't managed an NSD for ages! Feeling like money has been disappearing, it's so much easier to track when you write every single item down.

Current spends for November as follows:

Groceries: £285.03/£433 so not much leeway here, need to eat from the cupboards/freezer for the next few days.
    Gifts: £175.50 (one birthday plus a couple of xmas pressies - another birthday yet to come in November)
    Eating out / Misc:£159.74/£173 (6 takeaways/eating out so far in November!). Bit shocked by the fact we got to this figure so fast already. Also includes 3 sets of car parking and the £5 for the Brownie fair. I think I may need a higher budget here
    Clothing: £139.08/£60 - exceeded this due to buying jeans for OH (his broke), a school bag for DS and 3 second-hand suits for me from ebay.
    Petrol £20.09/£80
    Pet care £42.99/£62
    Hair/nails £15/£60

Also made a one off £50 payment to DD's Junior ISA as I hadn't paid in for a few months, I invest it myself in Hargreaves Lansdown and it's up 42% since I took it over 18 months ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure