Mortgage application with new bank accounts...

Options
Hi folks,

I have been with HSBC since my student days, a good 12 years ago, and still have this everyday account.

I also have:
- Virgin Credit Card (£3000 currently used of £3400 limit), 0% for 27 months (I have had this for about 7 months).

- Barclays Credit Card (£0 used of £6000), I have had this for about 3 years, unused for a while (1.5 years).

That's 3 accounts currently.

I am looking to secure a mortgage in April, and am saving hard to do that. Every penny will go to the mortgage, I have no concerns over the Virgin card as I can easily make payments.

I have seen an offer from Nationwide to give myself £100 and my partner £100 if I switch to them - I'd like to do so as an extra £200 is, well, helpful. It wont add a lot to the deposit, but its still a larger deposit with compared to without...

My question, if I open the Nationwide account and switch to it, (I presume also closing the HSBC account), would that look bad to any potential mortgage companies as my long term account/relationship with HSBC had recently ended before the application?

Is the £200 worth any negative look on our history?

Best,
Jim

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are after the account switch incentive of Nationwide, you might be better off using donor accounts if the specific offer allows it, you can get more details in the "Budgeting & Bank accounts" sub forum.

Personally I wouldn't risk it for £200, couple of months before I expect to apply for a mortgage.
  • Jimmy9012
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    If you are after the account switch incentive of Nationwide, you might be better off using donor accounts if the specific offer allows it, you can get more details in the "Budgeting & Bank accounts" sub forum.

Personally I wouldn't risk it for £200, couple of months before I expect to apply for a mortgage.

I am on the side of not risking it. My partner doesn't think it would matter, but we decided to do what the Internet says... thanks for the help!
  • Jimmy9012
    Options
    Do you think it would be better to have a smaller deposit and pay of the 3000 credit card (0%), or keep the lager deposit and the credit monthly?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It looks like a near enough maxed out card, pay it
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure