Gym routine help

Options
Hi all .

I’ve joined a gym called the gym group and my local gym isn’t ready yet so they are giving us three months free access to another gym.

You get three 1-1 sessions with a trainer and also classes and induction. Right I don’t want to do 1-1 or induction at the other gym as il be using my one o initially joined more after it opens.

I’m 17.5 stone and looking to use the gym to lose weight but also tone up. I have a heart condition but I know when to take it easy and stop. I can pretty much do anything.

Any tips for a routine I’m hoping to go today.
Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes , due to your health problems take the advice of a professional via the induction and 1-1 sessions
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Induction is simply showing you round and ensuring that you can use the equipment safely: there ought not to be a cost for this, so taking an induction at the gym you are now using should not stop them giving you an induction to the new gym when it opens.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Going to the gym will do next to nothing unless your nutrition is sorted, thats why you are 17.5 stone.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »
    Hi all .

I’ve joined a gym called the gym group and my local gym isn’t ready yet so they are giving us three months free access to another gym.

You get three 1-1 sessions with a trainer and also classes and induction. Right I don’t want to do 1-1 or induction at the other gym as il be using my one o initially joined more after it opens.

I’m 17.5 stone and looking to use the gym to lose weight but also tone up. I have a heart condition but I know when to take it easy and stop. I can pretty much do anything.

Any tips for a routine I’m hoping to go today.
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Yes , due to your health problems take the advice of a professional via the induction and 1-1 sessions
    And check with your GP before starting exercise.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can go exercise my cardiologist recommends it.

I was actually 19 stone 13.5. I!!!8217;ve lost 2 and half stone prior to going to the gym. Stop fat shaming people. I!!!8217;m actually doing something about it. I am ready to go the gym but I wasn!!!8217;t prior due to being embarrassed.

Anyways I went to the gym did some cardio and weights.

I am not even going to ask my next question now because of one person on here.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »
    I can go exercise my cardiologist recommends it.

I was actually 19 stone 13.5. I!!!8217;ve lost 2 and half stone prior to going to the gym. Stop fat shaming people. I!!!8217;m actually doing something about it. I am ready to go the gym but I wasn!!!8217;t prior due to being embarrassed.

Anyways I went to the gym did some cardio and weights.

I am not even going to ask my next question now because of one person on here.
    Well, I'm pleased you had the sense to check with your GP before starting exercise - but you didn't mention that in your first post, only that you knew when to take it easy and stop.
    My post - imho - was considerate of you and your health.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Well, I'm pleased you had the sense to check with your GP before starting exercise - but you didn't mention that in your first post, only that you knew when to take it easy and stop.
    My post - imho - was considerate of you and your health.

I don't think it was your post they was responding to... (read above). TBH I'd be feeling the same if I had that posted at me, if you read it I think you'd see what I mean...
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, take up the free 1-2-1 sessions, they normally cost a lot of money- if they are free they will only be more suggestions and personalised suggestions at that, I don't see how they could do any wrong, they shouldn't be attached to the gym itself and if they are then this wasn't made clear. 1-2-1 personal trainers can go for anything from £25-£150 a session, take up the offer, if anything you've got someone to spot you whilst you train and correct your posture and form so you know you're not getting into bad habits. Bad habits can cause injuries, wear and tear and affect your ability to keep training effectively.
  • Cheeseface
    Cheeseface Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    It!!!8217;s clear that you do need some advice, as there is no such thing as !!!8216;tone up!!!8217;. You reduce body fat and/or increase muscle mass. You cannot simply tone up.

Well done on getting out there though, it!!!8217;s hard. Listen to the trainers as they will optimise any work that you are doing.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would expect that they'd make you take the induction before you can use the gym, so they can be confident that you know how to use the equipment safely.

It's worth taking the 1:1 sessions because they'll be able to double check your technique, suggest exercises that you might prefer or benefit more from and potentially if you want them to, make some suggestions on diet. You could ask for a fitness assessment so you have some stats for a starting point and can see how you progress by doing another at 3/6/12 months etc.

Tell the trainer that you want transferable skills - that is anything they teach you should be something you can do on your own in the other gym when it opens. Maybe they'll let you just do one of the sessions for now, then have the other two in your regular gym when it's open?

Personally I'd be looking initially to build up lungs and core strength, then mobilising the legs and upper body before picking up weights. But then my personal trainer is a physio, so he's extremely hot on perfect technique and I feel indestructible as a result. I can't comment on what impact a heart condition would have so I don't really want to go into any detail other than to say running and boxing take care of my lungs, and we've done a lot of resistance band work for the glutes and abs.

Also on an unrelated note - consider taking some photos so you can compare as you go on your journey. I definitely don't take enough photos so it can be difficult to spot the changes especially when my weight plateaus!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure