PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Radical laundry reduction

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    2 wear nappies (which frequently leak!!.. out-pee'd rather then inefficient) and we tried that but the boys.. with their autistic spectrum disorders wouldn't sleep or settle and the girls were appalled.. DD1 does do this now.. she decided she felt 'safer' with them on once she started menstruating..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • flutterbyuk25
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    2 wear nappies (which frequently leak!!.. out-pee'd rather then inefficient) and we tried that but the boys.. with their autistic spectrum disorders wouldn't sleep or settle and the girls were appalled.. DD1 does do this now.. she decided she felt 'safer' with them on once she started menstruating..

I get your thinking now! Sorry I didn't know whether you had kids etc (as I don't usually pop on this board!) and thought it was a bit odd.:rotfl:

But I can imagine it's easier for you to change them everyday.
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    pigpen - don;t worry.........your lad will get out of this phase.........they normally do. I had two sons and the youngest was totally different Often its a girlfriend that makes a difference.
    Sadly in the case of the lad we're looking after at the moment he realy couldn't care less and I've found the more I say about it the worse he is.
    He does have a bath every day though...........obviously working on the principle that if the body's clean the rest doesn't matter.............lol
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • csarina
    csarina Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    When I was working I used to change my blouse every day, but wear it for two days if you see what I mean, I always hang my clothes on hangers outside the wardrobe at night, if it smells 'sweaty' next morning it goes in the wash..................OH had a clean shirt everyday........I hate ironing shirts, so glad he is retired and only wears a shirt occasionally.................

I only change our bed every second week and the duvet cover once a month, just turn it over.....we have a bath each night before we go to bed.

Now I am retired I wear a tee shirt for a couple of days, so 2 or 3 a week, trousers for a couple of days, then they get a change. We both have clean pants on every day, but wear nightshirts in bed, so no smelly bottoms.......OH wears his vest for 2 days then it goes in the wash.............theoretically, now we live in sheltered housing I could change the sheets every week, but then I would have to iron it.............forget that........................

When we go on holiday, I take pants etc that dry quickly, we rinse socks and knickers out each night when we go to bed and I use a spud masher in a bucket to 'posh' clothes, and a salad spinner will spin water out of socks and pants... we take a weeks clothes with us and we can manage for 3 - 4 weeks like that.........it just takes organising.

Foot note: my youngest son had the smelliest feet this side of heaven.......he had to take socks with him to change into at lunchtime when he was at school..........nothing we did made any difference, then suddenly he got a girlfriend, and started washing his feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pigpen - so do you wash all PJs every day, or just the PJ bottoms?

I started a thread about how much laundry I had sometime ago and for a while I seemed to get on top of it. I was doing things like throwing in wash a full Beavers uniform that had only been on son 1.5 and I also started changing the kids from school, so I could salvage what school uniform would last another day before they spilled their tea over it. We've slipped back into bad habit s recently and I need to get back on top of it again.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    I think that making the kids change out of uniform as soon as they come home from school really helps to keep the laundry down. I always did it with mine and they could get 2 days out of a uniform most of the time (barring accidents at lunchtime!). For some strange reason, my daughter doesn't bother and then wonders why she has to provide a full clean uniform EVERY day!

If their school has a choice of colours for shirts/blouses (ie blue/white; grey/white) I would always go for the colour rather than white! Maybe have white for when it's school photo day! Same with socks - grey or black rather than white AND always buy the big packs of socks that all match so no problems when odd ones go missing (if 2 go missing - one from each pair - at least you STILL have a pair left!) lol. It's also a good idea to suggest to the school that they should have the kids wear a protective garment when doing art/crafts - even if the parents buy them personally, the teacher could at least encourage them all to wear them. My grandkids have come home with sweatshirts/polo shirts ruined with paint and glue that won't come out.

I always wash my underwear every night (by hand) when I'm staying somewhere other than home. A good rub with the towel, and it normally dries on the radiator overnight.

I wear a white blouse/navy skirt for work and of course need a clean blouse every day. But I have 2 navy skirts that I rotate each week - 2 days then 3 days alternately. If I spilt something, I would just sponge clean that particular bit of fabric immediately and wear again - unless it was something 'stinky'! Dgd2 (3 months) 'got me' one afternoon last week before I had a chance to get changed for the evening - what a little angel :A !

As we have showers every morning, I don't throw the towels in the wash every time. We each use our own towel and hang it up to 'dry off' afterwards. Obviously, if showering after hard or grimy work then the towels would be changed immediately. But under normal circumstances 1 bath sheet will do for 2 showers.

I do change teatowels everyday and dish cloths - prefer those to be really hygienic as they are used around our food preparation - dish cloths get soaked in a bleach solution at night before being rinsed out and thrown into the laundry for the next wash!
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    My kids wear underwear to bed so pajamas tend to be changed once a week.

We all have clean socks and underwear every day but outer clothes only get washed if they look dirty (ie have stains that cannot brush off, or sponge off) or smell perspirey.

Tops tend to get worn twice normally, but trousers/skirts can last 3/4 days if we are careful (well mine and OH and DD anyway, DS1 and 2 get covered in stains somehow so usually need a complete change of clothes every day! How do they manage it :eek:

Sheets get changed once a week and I never iron anything except school shirts or OH shirts for work. Everything else just gets smoothed out when damp and creases fall out with body heat (honestly ours do! :D )

I stopped ironing after DS2 was born as 3 children under 5 years of age and a workaholic OH meant I would have gone mad otherwise!

Even with the minimum washing that I do, the washing machine is on every day, but otherwise I think it would be on twice a day! :eek:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HariboJunkie
    Options
    My kids come home with their school uniform already dirty so changing them into clean clothes would just mean another set of dirty clothes after tea.

They wear their underwear under their jammies so jammies last 2 or 3 nights.

Bedding changed once a fortnight. :o

Towels used for 2 days then washed.

OH's and my clothes are worn until they are dirty. ;)

Washing machine is on once a day, twice when the bedding is changed.
  • Churchmouse
    Churchmouse Posts: 3,004 Forumite
    Options
    HJ, I'm so pleased to read yours come home from school dirty. Not one of my four boys ever came home with so much as a school tie that could do a second day:rotfl: (well not until they were a good deal older!!!Like 17:rotfl: ) I positively encouraged staying in uniform to save another set of clothes:o

Even now with 4 supposed adults in the house I do a minimum of two washes a day:eek: Where on earth does it all come from:o
    You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • Tibbie's_mum
    Options
    You know you have laundry issues when you run out of clean underwear!!!!!! Which I have just found I have........it'll have to be OH undies for me today.......I MUST GET MYSELF ORGANISED!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure