MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Anne put the animals down?

Options

Comments

• glamlovinkitty
    Options
    I'm utterly shocked at some of the callous comments on here. As someone else has said, would you kill your kids if you couldn't afford to feed them? (Though of course, so many people have kids now knowing they can't afford them, but assuming the general public will take responsibility for them, so that would never be an issue).

Don't be so cold hearted. If you can't have compassion for an animal, there's really no hope for you as a decent human.
  • mrbrightside842
    Options
    How much does it cost to get animals put down? I imagine if she can't afford to look after them, she can't afford those costs.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    I'm utterly shocked at some of the callous comments on here. As someone else has said, would you kill your kids if you couldn't afford to feed them? (Though of course, so many people have kids now knowing they can't afford them, but assuming the general public will take responsibility for them, so that would never be an issue).

Don't be so cold hearted. If you can't have compassion for an animal, there's really no hope for you as a decent human.

from what ive read on mse im sure some would :eek:
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • PhiltheBear
    PhiltheBear Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It's a simple NO.

There are lots of rehoming charities who would take the animals. Why kill them just for the sake of it?

This is possibly the most obnoxious question I've ever seen on this board - I'm tempted to report it to the moderators/admins as being offensive in the hope that it'll be deleted.
    Anyone agree?
  • nagswoman
    nagswoman Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    If Anne can afford to feed the animals, she should keep them, especially now that the grass is growing again. Talk to the PDSA to get help with vet bills.
    Have the horses' shoes removed so she only has trimming costs.
    Get someone to share the horses, share the costs.
    Anne will have nightmares if she kills the animals now especially if she manages to get a job very soon.
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has Anne seriously not heard of the word SHELTER? That's why these places are around for goodness sake. I think this question is utterly absurd :s I go to my local shelter and rehome their older rats, no one wants them so I take them (only animal me and my fiance are collectively not allergic to). If I lost my job and couldn't afford their vet care then I would take them back to the shelter and give a donation if I could scrape one together. That's what I thought everyone would do, I guess I am naive :s

I don't understand why this is even a discussion. You don't put your animals down because you can't afford them, you give them to a no-kill shelter.

If anyone is in this situation then contact me and I will find your local shelter.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Down the chop shop with the lot of them, she can always buy replacements if her finances pick up again at a later date.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have reported this thread because I believe it is going to cause upset and it probably already has.

There is only one solution, not two. GIVE THEM TO A NO-KILL SHELTER. I would have thought that would be obvious to anyone. And a good vet wouldn't allow a healthy enough animal to be put down anyway.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Enchantica wrote: »
    I have reported this thread because I believe it is going to cause upset and it probably already has.

There is only one solution, not two. GIVE THEM TO A NO-KILL SHELTER. I would have thought that would be obvious to anyone. And a good vet wouldn't allow a healthy enough animal to be put down anyway.

The 'only one solution' you propose is merely your point of view, the idea of open debate is that different points of view are discussed.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Enchantica wrote: »
    ............I believe it is going to cause upset and it probably already has.

I'm surprised at the topic tbh, it's not your usual run of the mill silliness. This is emotive and I have no doubt there will be people who have been in situations as dire as this and not known which way to turn.

Using this as the subject for one of MSE's hypotheticals wasn't wise, imo.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport