Reclaiming fees for new build house

Options
Hello,

My partner and I have been trying to purchase a new build property in the South East.

We got as far as paying for the surveyor with Virgin Money for our mortgage.

The fees we have incurred are:

Solicitors fees searches £460
Virgin money surveyor £275

We recently were told that we cannot now purchase this property because we cannot get a mortgage on it with Virgin - the surveyor said no it is not worth as much as it is being sold for.

We went back to the housing association and the estate agent and asked if we should try with a different lender to which they said no!

They advised that none of the houses can be sold because of the pylon. The housing company used the wrong kind of surveyor (they used a commercial surveyor) so they didn't realise they couldn't sell them until we had already paid almost £750 in fees! They have given us our reservation fee back (an extra £500) but I wanted to know if you thought it would be worth trying to reclaim the rest of the money back from the housing company?

We wouldn't have been able to buy the house from the start due to their mistake but we weren't told until it was too late!

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Elizabethivyx
    Options
    Apologies - did not mention much about the pylon. There was a development of 11 houses all very close by to a pylon but we were reassured that this wouldn't be a problem.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can ask. You may get lucky. However, the point of a survey is to pick up issues and it appears to have done its job.

Never buy a house under or almost under a pylon.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure