PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    Options
    Oh dear! Another £7 frittered away at the local supermarket... today didn't quite go as planned; I ended up spending the day listening to two dear friends unburden their hearts, one after the other but separately, not trotting over to the allotment & stocking up on kale & leeks as planned. So I had to buy veg for tonight's stir-fry instead. I'm not going to count that as a waste of a day, but it was £7 I wouldn't otherwise have spent.

The good news, though, was that DS2 went over to some friends for tea, so I was able to pop half the meat into the freezer for another day. And I only used about half of the veg. So a swings-&-roundabouts kind of day; loss on the one hand, but gain on the other.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    Another NSD by accident, felt too poorly to go before work & too tired after..:o
    Boys managed and ate up bits from the fridge, so that's a plus
    Must sit and write a proper list again so I buy what we need, not what I think we need!:rotfl:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Hi folks, I’m back! I’ve been laying low for a bit. So far I’m up to €29.51 / €450 and 5/10 NSD. We have visitors coming tomorrow night who will stay until Sunday afternoon. I think most of the food we will eat will outside the house so it won’t count towards the grocery budget. That said, I'll probably pick up some fruit to go with the yoghurt and muesli we have in the house. I’ll probably go to Holland and Barrett for a few things then get some back up toilet paper. Toilet paper, my old arch nemesis! *shakes old man fist* :rotfl:
  • purpleybat
    Options
    Sounds like expensive bread is the least of your problems. I have nerve probs in my arm and hand, occasionally painful, always very weak. It does slow me down a great deal.
    Hope you get better and back to your normal stuff soon.
    Where did you get the sevilles? I was thinking of marmalade with all the citrus on aldi super six at the moment.

oh you have my full sympathy, it makes life miserable doesn't it? mine is due to 2 prolapsed discs in my neck that i'm hoping to get an operation to mend.
    I got my sevilles from morries, but according to my books you can make marmalade from any citrus fruits. if i can get them while out next week I plan on trying the pomelo recipe I found.
    I do find making marmalade a bit of a labour of love, all that shedding of peel. I only make it for my dad cos he likes quite sharp, bitter marmalade and finds shop ones now too sweet.
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    A happy Friday to everyone! I hope all the poorly folk feel better soon and get some love and attention from their nearest and dearest in the meantime.

I spent another £1.58 yesterday on carrots and low sodium salt which I use for my bread making (the salt not the carrots!).

19.06/100
  • Sorry so many are feeling under the weather. We need spring to come!

This month is going badly for me- Only 71.42 left :/.

We do have quite a lot in the cupboards now so just need to stop spending! I don't think we will need any other household things, just food on 3.75 a day. This is doable but difficult I think.

Meal plan for this week:
    Today: Risotto and chicken
    Tomorrow: Out then maybe soup.
    Tuesday: Pancakes :)
    Other meals: Cottage pie, chilli with rice, chilli with wraps, spicy pasta.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
  • Highland_Fling
    Options
    Good morning everyone
    I find this thread so inspiring because it doesn't matter what your budget is everyone is aiming to be more accountable for what they spend and how they are spending their hard earned money.

Hi Tighteningthebelt
    re visiting coffee shops. I do occassionaly have friends up for lunch/coffee but I live in a very small village about ten miles from the nearest town. All my friends live in the town and seem to think they are embarking on an expedition if they come to visit me. They fail to grasp the road is the same distance in the opposite direction. I did suggest we each take turns hosting but the majority of them enjoy being out of their home and shopping while they are out. (not old style money savers)
    I do quite like the idea of giving up coffee shops for lent but I would have to find some other way of spending time with my friends. Village life can be lonely and I have to make the effort to keep friendships.
    We did at one point join a knit n' natter group but guess what, it was in a coffee shop.
    Perhaps now the better weather is coming in we could meet for a short walk. I know they would want to go for coffee after but I could make my excuses and leave at end of walk.
    We have some lovely galleries etc in town but all roads lead to their gift shop and coffee shop.

I will however be more aware of what I am spending and I think I might suggest we all go dutch from now on as I can never remember who paid last time.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    highland fling
    Totally agree, friendships are the most important thing, and a coffee is a very small price to pay!
    Assuming the highlands is where you live, I expect it's a bit chilly at times, and some days wandering about outside probably isn't such a sociable activity.
    Sounds lovely though. I'm a townie through and through!
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Summary - teeny bit over but not scared yet!
    80 budget
    30.39 spent
    49.61 left
    8th NSD today, target was 14 for Feb. I know it's not over but that is such an improvement for me!!
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just totted up the scores on the doors, and I'm at £9.35/£40 so bang on track so far this month. The budgets going to be blown out of oblivion as I plan to stock up at Lidl this weekend.

Re: coffee out, I'm always happy to spend on this, its my little treat. What I'm not happy to do is pay for a meal out I neither want nor need, just to be "sociable".
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure