Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Pension Auto-Enrolment

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• lucys_mum
    lucys_mum Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope this is the right place - I am due to retire in October but will not be doing - should I be enrolled into the scheme please?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you mean you will reach state retirement age in October?
    If that is the case, and you meet the income criteria, then you would be a "non-eligible job holder" but should be able to opt in to the scheme if you are under 74.

See page 13 of the booklet
    http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/docs/detailed-guidance-1.pdf
  • There seem to be 3 circumstances where you might not want to auto-enrol that are not mentioned in the Guide.
    You have one of the Lifetime Allowance Protections that will be lost if you make further pension contributions
    You are near to your Lifetime Allowance (currently £1M) and going over the limit would incur a tax penalty of 55%.
    You are close to retirement and will be on means tested benefits in retirement. The reduction in means tested benefits could be greater than your own contributions to the pension scheme.

Will the Guide be updated to include these considerations?
  • If I run my own company, can I auto-enrol myself into the employer provided pension? If yes, is that still classed as employer provided pension or would that be classed as an individual pension?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you are truly "self employed" there is no company - companies are incorporated via Company's House (or similar in other countries) and get a registration number and the right to use Ltd (or Plc).
    If you run a company, you have a staging date, and have to autoenrol employees who meet certain criteria.
    If you are self employed, you wouldn't be subject to autoenrollment, but you can open you own personal pension or SIPP and get tax relief from the Government.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If I run my own company, can I auto-enrol myself into the employer provided pension? If yes, is that still classed as employer provided pension or would that be classed as an individual pension?

Probably best asked on the main forum as this gets so few people reading it.

First question: are you self employed like you suggest or are you the shareholding director of a limited company (which is not self employed)?

Limited company

If you dont employ anyone then you dont need an auto-enrolment scheme and are free to use your own individual pension with employer contributions to it. That is what most shareholding directors will do where there are no employees.

If you have employees then you are dragged into auto-enrolment (as are all directors) and have to be auto opted in. You can opt out but you will have to decide whether it is worth it or not. It really depends on your pension and investment choice.

Self employment
    Auto enrolment does not apply to you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Is it worth joining a pension scheme for a 9 month contract at age 22?
    I have been offfered auto enrolment for a retirement saver scheme with an employer where I am on a 9 month contract.
    . I understand the extra money that will be paid in by the employer and tax rebate but when I leave the pot will sit there until the retirement age (65) so over 40 years - won't the scheme charges whittle away the money saved?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry, this section doesnt get hardly any readers. Most stick to the main pension section. We have asked the board to close it a number of times but they dont seem to mind people not getting responses.
    Is it worth joining a pension scheme for a 9 month contract at age 22?

Yes. At 22 you should have a pension and you get "free money" from the employer. What is there not to like about free money?

It may not be for long but when you start your next one you can move the money over.
    won't the scheme charges whittle away the money saved?
    No. That is statistically impossible.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hi, dunstonh,

Maybe you won't mind me asking my question?

I'm got a contract for 7 months, and I have been autoenrolled. I've just started taking my private pensions, but will try and carry on working for a little longer if I can. However, what I can't decide is whether to pay in money into the new pension in respect of the work I did last year, when I had no pension at all. However, I've got to balance that against the fact that I might not get any more work after July, and that I won't be able to access that money until my state retirement age - in about 6 years time. Either way, its likely to be an extremely small pension pot!

I'd be really interested in your opinion on this - at the moment I'm just going round in circles and dithering!

many thanks,

CapricornLass
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • My employer needs to autoenroll me into a pension, but hasn't got any pension arrangements yet. I saw that NEST seems to have been designed for this situation, low administration required and low charges for a pension plan.

A SIPP is an alternative, but would involve a big learning curve.

Are there any other options to consider that would be easy to administer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure