Deposit %?

Options
Is there a depost % threshold that makes acceptance more likely? For example, we could put down 20%, but 15% would be better for us in terms of having more spare savings to do some modernisation work on the house.

We are thinking of going through Halifax, and our situation is I am currently employed but starting at a new job at the beginning of June (permanent contract - 6 months probation), and my OH is self employed (two years of tax assessments).

Our credit is fine other than a lack of credit card history, but nothing adverse. My OH recently updated the electoral roll which will not be sent to the credit agencies until 1st of June, so that info is outdated (shows registration for our previous address). Mine is current. I'm not sure how much this affects things.

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You can try it at 15% and then if declined try again with 20%?
    Usually every 5% increases your chances of being accepted.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • astal
    astal Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a deposit % threshold that makes acceptance more likely?

Any % more would make acceptance more likely.
    There is no rule to have acceptance definite.
    No rule that can be applied to all banks, not even a rule for the same banks, as all customers are different with different circumstances, income, house value, credit score etc.

Chances are, and experience says, that 15% deposit is very likely indeed to lead to acceptance, so the only thing you need to do is try it with a bank. In the unlikely event they will decline, increase it to 20%.
  • thermal2844
    thermal2844 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you both for your answers. So if we apply with 15%, and it is declined, we can then ask them if they would accept us with a 20% deposit? I guess I assumed it was either accept or decline, without any room for negotiating in this way.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends on why they declined you - affordability or adverse credit history.
  • thermal2844
    thermal2844 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have no adverse credit history so I suppose it would be affordability if it came to that, although we're fine on the calculations we've done so probably just worrying over nothing.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    No application should be turned down for affordability. Lenders have affordability calculators so providing the information is entered correctly they should be accurate.

You could get turned down for not meeting the internal scoring requirements, but by dropping down to the next banding the lender may have different scoring requirements. We have a case which went to offer last month and the client wanted 66% LTV (give or take). It was declined, but we reduced the loan amount by around £3k, got it to fit at 65% LTV and it passed the credit check. He just left £3k on a loan he planned on clearing, it flew through affordability so that was never a problem.

He wins as we get him from an adverse lender to a high street lender with a rate that is now 3% less than he was paying give or take. As he is now miles better off each month, he can clear the loan in no time by overpaying.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure