Interest only mortgage - do I pay it off

Options
Hello, very wise people. Wondering if any of you have a view on something for me!

I have an interest only mortgage, of 55,000 (50% paid) and savings of 76,000 however I have no regular income, hopefully that will change over time, but currently not in good health.

I have no dependants, and no one who will expect much when I die (hopefully 40 years away but as my bank have just called me it made me think!)

Do I try to pay off mortgage or carry on with my 150 monthly interest payment (with 12 years left). I hate owing money but do I need to think of mortgage as debt or leave it for the moment.

A curious dilemma but I hope it will make sense to someone and they can give me some clarity.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• rumble55
    Options
    Hi, pay off your mortgage - it's an incredible feeling! Whatever the world throws at you you'll be able to cope with.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Paying it off leaves you with a decent amount for emergencies and also likely will give you a better effective interest rate on your money than you are getting now. Eg if your mortgage rate is 3% (my guess from your payment) what rate are you getting on that £76k savings ? Probably not that much.

It will also release the £150 a month, that could go into a high rate savings account.

Only potential issue, is there an Early Redemption Charge you'd have to,pay ?
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bitlost11 wrote: »
    Do I try to pay off mortgage or carry on with my 150 monthly interest payment (with 12 years left).

Admittedly I'm no expert in interest only mortgages, but presumably if you pay off the mortgage in full, there will be no more interest to pay?
  • juniordoc
    Options
    You could look at switching to a repayment mortgage so could keep most of the savings for now but at least you'd be working towards paying it off, by the time you reach retirement age is a good goal.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have savings of £76,000 and your not in good health or working.
    If you can pay off your mortgage with no fees to pay I would do so.
    You can't claim any benefits if you have £76,000 in the bank.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dimbo61 wrote: »
    You can't claim any benefits if you have £76,000 in the bank.

Was intending to say something similar.
  • Bitlost11
    Options
    Thank you all so much !!!55357;!!!56397;
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Presumably you will have to pay it off eventually. What was the original term and what were the plans for paying it off?

Lenders don't like interest only mortgages so it might be best to have some plan to repay.

As someone else pointed out you will be excluded from some benefits if you have that much in savings.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Im not sure I would pay it off. I would keep the mortgage amount aside so I knew I could clear it if necessary and at the term end.

Depends on your health, you may decide that should your health deteriorate further, you would prefer to take world cruises and not worry about your mortgage. Or your health could improve and you earn again.

I would think that once cleared you can never get the savings back, so I would be reluctant to lose the savings at this point.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Bitlost11
    Options
    Thank you silvercar, I had wondered similar myself. Enthusiasticsaver - I am fortunate enough to know that I will inherit (on the death of my parents) enough to pay it off, and alternatively my life insurance policy will more than pay it, should I go first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure