Problem at work - potential redundancy.

Options
Hi Guys,

I am confused and unsure about what to do about my current situation. I have looked at a few other sites such as ACAS and employment sites and there is so much to take in but I would appreciate some comments on my situation.

Briefly I have worked for my current employers for almost 19 years in the retail division. Have always mostly enjoyed my work, done well and worked my way up. I am currently a 'middle' manager in HR. I loved my job until the last year or so.

About 2 years ago we had a management restructure. There were at that time 2 grades of managers being reviewed - band 1 and 2. At the time consultations took place I was told that all managers were being restructured apart from those in HR as we were not affected by this change. Therefore I had no consultaion. All the other managers did and were, after a selection process, made up to band 2 managers. 2 chose to step down and were paid off for their troubles. Now even though I loved my job I figured I was potentially missing out on an opportunity here so I did in fact apply in writing for a band 2 position and was told by the store manager at the time that he wouldn't accept my application as he was very happy with me being in the role I was in and 'don't worry as your not affected'. I accepted that as although I would like more money (who wouldn't) I am less money driven and more happy to be content in my job role, generally fairly happy with my salary.

Fast forward to now and over the last couple of years since there has been much speculation as to what will be happening to the HR roles. About 3 months ago we were issued with a message via a managers meeting that the role of HR would be re-evaluated next Aug (2008) as a seperate concern. There are 2 of us managing HR me as a band 1 and my line manager who is a band 3. We have been told so far that only one position will be available but not at what grade. We are fairly sure it means one of us will either have to step up or down. Either way one of us is out of a position in HR. We believe in principal that redundancy will be offered.

My concerns/worries are that firstly I have become unhappy in my job and company over the last year or so. As its retail the demands and expectations are for us to be more shop floor traders and less about the role I am being paid to do in HR. Have no issue helping out elsewhere but recently the expectations are more and more unreasonable.

Secondly, I don't want more responsibility and don't wish to step up which means I may not be the best candidate for the new postion although I do not know what that looks like yet as it has not been disclosed yet.

I appreciate that I may end up with a potentially decent redundancy offer but if I am that wont be til next August and I don't know if I can carry on working in a place that I am now unhappy in.

Is it worth hanging on just for redundancy? Or should I get out now? Do you think that I have a claim for unfair dismissal if I resign. I feel that my Company werent honest with the first round of restructuring, I was told your sfae nothing to worry about so wasnt included in the considerations for new positions as my peer group were, now there is nothing left to apply for. Not sure if I am being irrational as I am confused and angry so would appreciate any thoughts. If you have read all that thank you, sorry its long.
Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00

Comments

• ekkygirl
    ekkygirl Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    I think I would hang on until next year. Most companies play their cards close to their chest and unless you had it in writing that you were not going to be affected, there wont be much you could do. Even if you did have written assurance, its been a couple of years and things change. I might stop being as obliging if I were you, Do the things that are your job, question any other attemps to make you do other work, be a pain in the !!! and they just might offer you redundancy early . By the sound of it you dont owe them anything. Jojn thre union if only forthe free legal advise.
  • LittleVoice
    Options
    I agree with ekkygirl regarding the fact that it is water under the bridge as far as the past consultations are concerned and your being unlikely to prove anything about what was said to you at the time.

However -

Do you want to continue in an HR role, somewhere else if not with your current organisation?
    Are you qualified in HR?
    If you are, look for another job now - no rush, take your time to get the right job.
    If you are not qualified (or have only a L3 qualification), enrol on a CIPD course (= L4). Still look around for another job, using your course as a demonstration of your seriousness in progressing in HR.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    I'd hang on. 20 years worth of redundancy, an excellent reason why you've left your job and a good job reference for the sake of suffering it another year.
  • Shazmar_2
    Options
    You have no guarantee that you will be happy in any other workplace. Your best option to my mind is wait and see what develops, you never know what is round the corner and it is possible that things may change for the better by the time the re-evaluation comes around. At the very least you should, after 20 years, give yourself the opportunity to get a redundancy payout. You definitely don't have a claim for unfair dismissal
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Littlevoice has given some excellent advice and I think your best course would be to follow it.

As for hanging on for redundancy pay - it may even be the legal minimum, which will not leave you with a huge amount of money, and a universal truth is that it is far easier to get another job when you already have one. And we all know that the age discrimination law will mean nothing in practice. I do not know how old you are but I do know that employers are going to think....hmmm, this person has no get up and go, and would never have left their old employer if not made redundant...hence after 19 years with one employer, they might find change difficult to cope with. Shall I employ this person or this other person who's been with their previous employer 3 years and is now looking for a change of role? We all know who would get the job in that situation, 9 times out of 10......

I'm also a wee bit concerned that you're not thinking straight right now. As a HR manager, I would have thought that you would have been quite clear about what is constructive dismissal and what is not. That makes me think that perhaps you ither might want to consider brushing up your knowledge before looking for another role, or calm down and get your thinking straightened out.
  • firesidemaid
    Options
    do you know what your own employer's redundancy rules/rates are? are they documented?

in some jobs if you are over 40 / have done more than 20 years then the redundancy pay may be more favourable.

also, are you in a company pension scheme?
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far, it is helpful to see some different points of view.

I am not qualified in HR, have worked in this department for around 6 years and whilst I am OK with my company policies that's all I know in this field. I have an understanding of our redundancy policy, however, we have never had any in the Company during the 6 years I have worked here so whilst its OK knowing the paper based policy its a very different thing when you have to apply it to yourself. Having said that my colleague and I have worked out in principal what a payout would like to give an idea, at this stage though we have not yet been informed of any selection criteria, we hope to know a bit more at a meeting in October.

I guess the reason I am confused is that the biggest part of me wants to go now and find something else (not neccessarily HR) as I have not been happy for a year or so now and the thought of another year with this hanging over my head is not appealing. Having said that its not the redundancy possibility that worriesme the most its the work conditions now, I just hate working here. The more sensible part of me says hang on and at the very least take my redundancy assuming there is no offer that suits me.

I am also in a decent career average death and benefit pension scheme but again is that enough of a reason to stay? I am under 40 by the way.

There is also a lot of regeneration taking place in my local area at the moment so I believe now (or in the next few months anyway) might be opportune for jobs in the immediate area. Lots to think about eh?
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've got more than twenty more years of employment ahead of you. You don't want to spend any more than absolutely necessary doing something where you are not happy.

Analyse what you actually like doing (and therefore what you are good at doing). Look at where you have had particular successes (either in work or elsewhere) and see what skills you used to achieve these outcomes. Then see what jobs will suit those skills. If you find a job which matches with your skills, you have a much higher chance of being happy.
  • Hotspur
    Hotspur Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    My company is looking to make 400+ redundant over the next year and I am considering voluntary redundancy as I have 30 years service and would get a pension as well.

Rather than dwelling on the past/negatives I am focusing on the positives of a new start/doing something different. Redundancy can be an opportunity of doing something you always wanted to try but didn't as your job was safe and secure (or so you thought).

List the pros and cons of staying/going, skills you have gained that are marketable and do a spreadsheet of bills/income and make your decision from there. Keep your other half in the loop as well (if you have one) as they will be affected and should be involved and supportive.

I'd certainly consider waiting til you got a redundancy payment unless your perfect job came along as it can be a parachute payment in case you are unemployed for a while.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose the other option is to apply for jobs that take your fancy. That way there's no pressure to apply for something you're not too sure about because you've got no income and you're not going to miss the golden opportunity should it arise. you've also got the advantage of being currently employed and a good reason for leaving - both which look good on an application. And if you've not found something by the time the redundancy comes, then you've lost nothing.

Sometimes the mere act of actively job hunting and knowing you're doing something to find a way out can make the job you currently hate a bit more bearable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure