heating hot water bill

Options
I moved into a new build property in 2008. I am a housing association tenant and the apartments are a mixed development. 140 are private and 148 are part buy and social housing. We have just received our bill for water and heating after waiting 3 years as they did not know what way to bill us.

The private are billed direct from the management company and are charged 1p per day standing charge on top of the water heating that they use.
The ha tenants (including part buy) bill is sent by the management company to the ha who then pass the bill on to another company to issue bills on behalf of leaseholders and residents. We are being charged £35 +vat=11.5p per day for first year only for this account to be set up.
Annual billing and collection charges of £56.34 +vat=18.52p per day total 30.02p per day admin charge. We also then have standing charges of 22.41p per day for heating and 28.44p per day for water inc vat. This is for management company to collate readings and issue billing and invoices to h.a.

This adds up to 80p per day standing charges without using heating and hot water. Are the management company allowed to bill us these ridiculous amounts. The housing association then add on more for their admin charges whilst the private flats only pay for what they use plus 1p per day on top.

Myself and my neighbours were not told about this when we moved in or bought the apartments. I was told that I would be billed for what I used.

Comments

• mynameistallulah
    Options
    If you wished to challenge these charges then you should first follow the MC complaints procedure. If you take it high enough they may make some concession. If not you would need to make a claim to the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal, who can rule on whether the costs are reasonable.

You can get more advice from https://www.lease-advice.org.
  • jen33
    jen33 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for replying I will have a read through this and see if it can help us in anyway. I think a neighbour has already mentioned this so will have a read through it. Any other suggestions will be appreciated as we have had no warning on these extra charges and then had them billed after 3 years. Can they wave any of these charges as it has taken them so long to bill us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure