Buying Myself out of Contract to Avoid Nasty Boss!

Options
Hi, I have decided to leave my job because of my nasty abusive boss who is aggressive and always uses expletives in her conversations; I am just fed up of all the unjustified abuse I am getting from her!

However, the company paid for my training for a professional qualification and I signed a contract agreeing to pay it back if I leave within 18 months of qualifying.

Is there any way I can avoid paying this back? I can't afford a solicitor and the amount to be re-paid could be as much as £5k!

Comments

• shameless-about-money
    Options
    Do you belong to a Union by any chance?

Your boss' behaviour is classified as harrasment.

You really should put in a Complaint about your boss and have the whole thing sorted out. At the investigative meeting you could always put to them that if you are forced into leaving because of her behaviour that you want to be released from the details of the contract which requires repayment of your training costs.
  • lesandflynny
    Options
    Hello there

firstly, I have been in senior management for over 10 years and I am told these contracts to repay training fees would not stand up to a legal challenge. I am sure you would be eligable to one free meeting with a solicior in your area, most do free surgeries.

However, don't do anything hasty. How long have you worked there. How big is the company, do you have an HR department, do you have a union rep? This women is in the wrong, I know you are fed up but try to remember you are NOT in the wrong here. Try to jot down a log of what she has said, when and where. id there any abusive emails off her you can use as evidence. It strikes me she needs reporting and if they cannot resolve your problems with her they will have to let you go without trying to get their training money back....I will add again these agreements are not usually worth the paper they are written on.

If you cannot stand it at work can you take time off sick whilst you report her.

Give me some more detials and I will try to help a little more. My friend is an HR manager too in a big organisation ans she knows employment law inside out. PM if you prefer.
    Oh how I dream............
  • DazedByTheLight
    Options
    Hi, the situation is that I have already handed in my notice and am due to leave soon. I am a quiet person and want to avoid any aggravation as far as possible.

However, the more I think about it the more it annoys me because I am having to PAY to avoid this person. If the company changed my boss there is no way I would even have considered leaving.

The behaviour of this person is well known, and has affected other colleagues as well - some of whom have left.

Thanks very much for your help.
  • MJMum
    MJMum Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    If the company changed my boss there is no way I would even have considered leaving.

Any chance that you could move teams to a different boss?
    Don't see the point anymore in offering advice to people who only want to be agreed with...
  • si1503
    si1503 Posts: 551 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have decided to leave my job because of my nasty abusive boss who is aggressive and always uses expletives in her conversations; I am just fed up of all the unjustified abuse I am getting from her!
    Sounds just like my kids mother!

Surely you can put in a complaint to the head of the company, they might be able to have a word with her about it, and if others complain too then there is a good chance something will get done. Abuse at work shouldn't be tolorated.
  • shameless-about-money
    Options
    The trouble is she's already submitted her resignation - that will pose a big problem
  • changkra
    changkra Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went through something very similar years ago when i was 18 yrs old. It was well known in the company what she was like for bullying people, she made my life hell. I like you I didn't want to take it further so i just left. I have since then regretted my decision not to complain and sort it out. If you do leave without putting in a complaint be sure its the right decision for you, i still regret mine as she went on to bully many others after me.
  • kiwigirl
    kiwigirl Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I was forced to leave a job that I loved after being bullied for 2 years by the end I had 10 mobbers spreading rumours against me too, so I know what you're going through, they were all higher in the workplace than me and none were willing to listen to my side of story. I took legal advice and got out, I'd tried the Union and grievance procedure without any luck, I left with a lot more than my previous employees wanted to give me! But that's my own preference, I am now trying to get back into similar work but currently not getting very far.

Could you ask for an end of employment meeting by any chance and then you can explain why you have handed in your notice and if you have any evidence of bullying (in written format) you may be able to bring that to the attention of the employer?

You mention that others have left due to her behaviour, would they be willing to put this in writing? Maybe of help to you?

KG
  • DazedByTheLight
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the advice. I am going to try and set out my reasons why I object to paying them so much money to get rid and make an offer.

I feel sorry for the people left, pretty soon there will be no team!

I really don't understand why firms can't see there's a problem and just deal with it; we have had so much aggravation with this one individual, and everybody is aware of it and complaints have been made but nothing seems to be done!

PS, for those in a similar position I have seen an excellent website where people discuss work-relates issues and problems at
    http://www.i-resign.com/uk/discussion/
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Why has no-one mentioned constructive dismissal? I'd have thought the OP had a strong case for this.

As other staff have also been reduced to leaving by this woman's attitude, it strikes me that she is the one with the problem, not the staff.

Is the fee that is being demanded back realistic for the training received? Stranger things have happened than someone being set up to "fail", and the profit for the firm is made from the severance payback.

Don't take any of this at face value OP, consult with your union rep if you have one, or take legal advice if not.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport