Worried about my credit/background check as a fresh graduate seeking employment

Options
Hi all,

I graduated this summer and I have managed to land a role at Santander pending successful reference/background and credit checks.

The referencing team got back to me today and stated everything was completed. I have never committed a crime or anything of that sort, just your average joe citizen, but with this being my first full time paid role I am worried that Santander will look deeply into my credit history.

As a student I have been in overdraft, though I hate to admit I have been in overdraft most of the time I was studying at university. This is what really concerns me, the bank asked me if I had been in overdraft before I stated yes, now I am no longer in overdraft. Though I can’t help but feel that this will become an issue with my background checks. Perhaps I am overthinking completely, but my personal bank is Santander and the job I have been offered is at Santander so I feel they can check more of my details and credit history.

When I was also 18, I was involved in a CCJ over an online transaction that was no fault of my own, though I was not wrong I took it all the way to county court to prove my innocence. But as a young 18 year old at the time my expertise in that field was poor and I ended up losing that case. I paid the CCJ in full immediately so I believe that this CCJ is not held against my name at all? Even employers can’t see this? As I rang the court and they stated that since it was paid it was never ever put against my name. Again, I am worried that this will affect my chances of landing this job. Could anyone provide me with any reassurance?

Many thanks for all your replies!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The CCJ won't appear.

But you can of course check this for yourself on your files.

Your overdraft usage is irrelevant.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    oscart1111 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I graduated this summer and I have managed to land a role at Santander pending successful reference/background and credit checks.

The referencing team got back to me today and stated everything was completed. I have never committed a crime or anything of that sort, just your average joe citizen, but with this being my first full time paid role I am worried that Santander will look deeply into my credit history.

As a student I have been in overdraft, though I hate to admit I have been in overdraft most of the time I was studying at university. This is what really concerns me, the bank asked me if I had been in overdraft before I stated yes, now I am no longer in overdraft. Though I can’t help but feel that this will become an issue with my background checks. Perhaps I am overthinking completely, but my personal bank is Santander and the job I have been offered is at Santander so I feel they can check more of my details and credit history.

When I was also 18, I was involved in a CCJ over an online transaction that was no fault of my own, though I was not wrong I took it all the way to county court to prove my innocence. But as a young 18 year old at the time my expertise in that field was poor and I ended up losing that case. I paid the CCJ in full immediately so I believe that this CCJ is not held against my name at all? Even employers can’t see this? As I rang the court and they stated that since it was paid it was never ever put against my name. Again, I am worried that this will affect my chances of landing this job. Could anyone provide me with any reassurance?

They wont have an issue with you having had an overdraft, they will be checking your honesty in what you've declared relative to how your history looks.

I dont think there will be a problem.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    oscart1111 wrote: »
    Hi all,

You don't have a CCJ, you never did.

You had a civil dispute, you lost and you paid.

What are they teaching kids and young adults if they think that losing a court case will lead to a CCJ being registered for 6 years!
  • oscart1111
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply. I thought it was strange that they asked me about the overdraft in the first place. As many students at university do fully make use of their overdraft allowances, I’ve never actually breached the overdraft itself though!
  • oscart1111
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply, perhaps it’s me being very paranoid as I am worried that they frown upon people that use their overdrafts or something among those lines.
  • oscart1111
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, yeah my misunderstanding. When I was younger I was always extremely worried that I would struggle to find employment due to this civil dispute. But if employers can’t see this then I guess it is nothing to worry about.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    What are they teaching kids and young adults if they think that losing a court case will lead to a CCJ being registered for 6 years!

I don't think they teach the kids and young adults at all tbh....
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I asked this question before regarding a job at Santander- I was heavily into the overdraft on my Lloyds student account but I was told as it was an arranged overdraft, it was fine, it’s just unarranged overdrafts they’ve got an issue with.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure