Accident not my fault but Im not out of pocket for it

Options
My wife was involved in a car accident, it wasn't her fault and the other insurance company have fixed her car.

But while her car was away for repair she was told she would get a hire car, she had to drive 20 miles to pick it up and them 20 miles to return it.

Her car also came back with less petrol in it that it left with as it had to be driven to the garage.

She also wasted 2 days waiting in house for the the garage to drop the car off and made numerous phone calls as they were really poor at communicating that she wouldn't be getting it back.

Why should be be out of pocket for all of these expenses, petrol, calls, time, when the accident wasn't her fault, can I claim them back against the insurance of the car driver that caused the accident?

Thanks

Comments

• CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    macphee70 wrote: »
    My wife was involved in a car accident, it wasn't her fault and the other insurance company have fixed her car.

But while her car was away for repair she was told she would get a hire car, she had to drive 20 miles to pick it up and them 20 miles to return it.

Her car also came back with less petrol in it that it left with as it had to be driven to the garage.

She also wasted 2 days waiting in house for the the garage to drop the car off and made numerous phone calls as they were really poor at communicating that she wouldn't be getting it back.

Why should be be out of pocket for all of these expenses, petrol, calls, time, when the accident wasn't her fault, can I claim them back against the insurance of the car driver that caused the accident?

Thanks

Hi macphee70 - we're not covering car insurance issues on our board at the moment. We'd recommend contacting our Consumer Helpline 08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays) for advice on your possible options. Or contacting your local bureau.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the other driver's insurance company have accepted liability for the incident then yes, you should be able to claim for unavoidable expenses incurred. Whether any of the costs you have listed fall into that category is the question. I'd suggest in the first instance you list all the costs and send them off to the insurance company to see what they say - if they pay up, great, if not then you'll have to consider what to do next.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    macphee70 wrote: »

Thanks

Does she work full time, and lose two days pay?

If not I would have thought the total loss would only be ten or twenty quid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure