Renting vs buying in 2017

Options

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They've done it again... the bel tel has just reported a drop in house prices. They must have a new editor. Possibly now there's no property ads, they're free to tell the truth.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Suplex_Backbreaker
    Options
    Here's the supreme fantasy (DUP style) - we'll be out of the EU, out of the customs union, out of EFTA....and we'll have an open border. Sorry, lads, that's like expecting water to flow uphill. Given all of the above, how long will it take to get from newry to Dublin by road? Train might be a little different of course.

To be fair, for all the huffing and puffing from Varadkar, the RoI is in deep, deep trouble unless there is some sort of free-market access for it to the wider market in GB. A massive amount of Irish exports go there, it's the single biggest export market. The border issue is more symbolic, but of course of relevance to local businesses based near the border.

The Irish government should be working for an open border with NI and lobbying hard for access for the UK to the single market, or at least some sort of bilateral deal.

However, I suspect they will abdicate responsibility to Strasbourg in return for some 'compensation' to mollify the Irish public and even more cushy jobs in the European Commission for Irish politicians when they leave office.

Of course, the easiest way to have a completely open border would be for the UK government to operate customs checks for freight traffic between NI and GB and do a deal with the Irish govt on a joint policy for immigration control over the British Isles as a whole .. but that would most likely send Unionist politicians into apoplectic fits.

I can see the whole vexatious border issue stirring up real trouble in NI society if there isn't some sort of mutually acceptable deal reached.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    Options
    It just astounds me that the UK government so quickly ruled out remaining in the single market, because that seems to be the only sensible option. People only voted to leave the EU. They need to stop indulging in the fantasies of the extreme Brexiteers and get a grip on reality.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    It just astounds me that the UK government so quickly ruled out remaining in the single market, because that seems to be the only sensible option. People only voted to leave the EU. They need to stop indulging in the fantasies of the extreme Brexiteers and get a grip on reality.

I don't care much either way and didn't vote in the referendum but i would hazard a guess that being able to trade freely with 500 million people or 5 billion had something to do with it.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    Options
    Wookey wrote: »
    I don't care much either way and didn't vote in the referendum but i would hazard a guess that being able to trade freely with 500 million people or 5 billion had something to do with it.

We can trade just fine with the whole world now. Of course I get that brexiteers want to strike their own trade deals which we couldn't do outside the single market, but is the economic damage of leaving the single market worth that?
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    To be fair, for all the huffing and puffing from Varadkar, the RoI is in deep, deep trouble unless there is some sort of free-market access for it to the wider market in GB. A massive amount of Irish exports go there, it's the single biggest export market. The border issue is more symbolic, but of course of relevance to local businesses based near the border.

well that explains the huffing and indeed the puffing

Of course, the easiest way to have a completely open border would be for the UK government to operate customs checks for freight traffic between NI and GB and do a deal with the Irish govt on a joint policy for immigration control over the British Isles as a whole .. but that would most likely send Unionist politicians into apoplectic fits.

Wonderful. Goods can be shipped into warrenpoint tariff free, then run over that beautiful open border.

This is not going to happen.
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    Wookey wrote: »

Most of the 5 billion either don't have a pot to !!!! in or probably don't need financial services or an Aston Martin.
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    All that's needed is is an Irexit - border problem solved!
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    Ticked wrote: »
    All that's needed is is an Irexit - border problem solved!

Well, that's true, but I can't see that happening, but I couldn't see Leave winning either.

The best result may be Brexit not happening at all, which is also not impossible.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    duggan1 wrote: »
    Most of the 5 billion either don't have a pot to !!!! in or probably don't need financial services or an Aston Martin.

As opposed to the majority of EU countries citizens who need those things? After Poland (6th overall) the populations of EU countries drops of massively over the next 22 places. Lol there could be a fortune to be made selling pots maybe for someone.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport