Executor of will or not!

Options

Comments

• bluecliocar
    bluecliocar Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank yoy fro your reply. My main issue is trust. I want to find out if he is lying. He tells me I am a beneficiary and will be looked after. This is irrelevant to me he can do as he wishes is fit. I just want to know if been an executor I have to agree by signing to say so. I have not done so or even seen the will.He will not show me. I 100% know he has written one because he had many appointment at the solicitor and once in the pub he pointed the solicitor out to me. He has many assets may be 1 million so alot to dispose of. He also travel to Nottingham to ask a school friend to be an executor. I do not know where his will is kept pharaps at the solicitor office.
    Ps been together 16years thanks
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I just want to know if been an executor I have to agree by signing to say so. I have not done so or even seen the will.He will not show me.

To confirm - you do not have to agree in writing or verbally that you are agreeable to being an executor.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • bluecliocar
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, the will was produced by a solisitor he made many visits to the offices. He has many assets. The issue is trust, I am not concerned with what he has written his his will thats his concern. I just want to know for definate that I am or not an executor. He has informed the two other executors. I dont know if to believe him or not. If I find out I am not then there are many other things I will not believe too Thanks
  • bluecliocar
    First Anniversary
    Options
    He has definitely made a will he sent many hours visiting the solicitor office. He has a lot of assetts and savings. I am not worried that is in the will although he has said I am well provided for. I just want to know for definite if I am an executor. If he is lying then there are many other things I will not believe too. How can I know for sure. I do not see the other people that are executors. thanks ps he has seen my will
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just want to know for definate that I am or not an executor.

Is it because you definitely want to be an executor or that you don't want to take on the role?

If it's because you don't want to do it, you don't have to even if you've been named in the will as an executor.

If this isn't really about the will but about trust in general, can't you decide whether he's trustworthy from other things he has said or done?
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He has definitely made a will he sent many hours visiting the solicitor office. He has a lot of assetts and savings. I am not worried that is in the will although he has said I am well provided for. I just want to know for definite if I am an executor. If he is lying then there are many other things I will not believe too. How can I know for sure. I do not see the other people that are executors. thanks ps he has seen my will

You don't really need to ask, do you? You may have been together 16 years but you clearly aren't - and probably never have been - partners in the true sense of the word. You don't trust him and being or not being an executor won't change that.
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is no central register of executors and there is no mechanism to find out if you are an executor other than by seeing the will or believing the answer of the person who set up the will.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    With that size of estate if he really wanted see you were well provided for, he should be looking to marry you to minimise IHT on his estate.
  • bluecliocar
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you yes my partner has seen my will. Cos he won't show me how I have doubts that I am executive Igor. He produces the will to completely cut off his daughter from receiving anything from the will. He has not seen her since she was a child she's 35ish. I simply want to find out if he is lying.
  • 5aday
    5aday Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    You could try to persuade your partner, that it was much better for a will to name a single executor, and that this be a beneficiary, such as yourself rather than a solicitor.

Even if you ask a solicitor to do the work, at least you would be in a position to shop around, negotiate, and choose someone you want to work with.

Perhaps the worst name to put on a will is that of a solicitor. You might therefore want to check that your partner has not done this. It tends to be done by "free" will writing services, and makes it difficult for yourself, other beneficiaries, or even other named executors, stopping the solicitors from administering the deceased's affairs in any way they want - and of course, charging the estate, whatever they want for doing it.

Problems can also occur when two people are named as executors, and both want to accept the roll. This can mean a grab for the will, a race to the Probate Office, and a raid on your partner's papers, followed by an emptying of bank accounts etc.

My wife has just gone through the experience of being the executor for her brother's will. She was very fortunate that her brother's (paid for) will writing service did not name themselves, and only one of the named executors wanted to do the very-personal and difficult work of clearing up someone else's affairs. However, we did read lots of scare stories, and are trying to make sure that we don't leave such problems to our heirs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure