Suspended from work

Options
13»

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is the new offer subject to conditions, eg satisfactory references? If so it may be worth approaching your line manager and asking what their thoughts are if you were to offer resignation in return for an agreed wording reference, I wouldn't mention new job offer at this point.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • dlpfan2019
    Options
    Thanks for that, do you mean to mention it on Tuesday at the meeting? As not able to talk to other staff while under investigation
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 December 2018 at 2:08PM
    Options
    dlpfan2019 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, do you mean to mention it on Tuesday at the meeting? As not able to talk to other staff while under investigation

Ask if they can consent to you putting this suggestion to your line manager or if this becomes an issue speak to HR with a view to reaching an agreed reference from them in return for your resignation.

Edit:assumptions are being made that they have some form of case against you and that they will end up at disciplinary.
  • dlpfan2019
    dlpfan2019 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 December 2018 at 8:07PM
    Options
    Hi all,

Meeting went okay and negotiated exit which suits me anyway really

Quick question though, I have agreed to confidentiality which is fine on my part, should I now clean my computer and delete anything work related or is it good practice to keep them for a few months incase I am asked about them?

In other words should I drop them an email just saying that I have old documentation that I will delete within 7 days unless I hear otherwise or equivalent

Just not sure what best practice is
  • Farmer_Johnson
    Options
    What is your company policy around storing work data on your home computer?

It seems strange that you are happy to exit, and seemingly under a cloud, if you have done nothing wrong.

Unfortunately, as we’ve seen with other big charities recently, they do seem too often to allow people to walk away after some very unsavoury findings and give them a clean bill of health when the next unsuspecting employer asks for a reference.
  • dlpfan2019
    Options
    What is your company policy around storing work data on your home computer?

It seems strange that you are happy to exit, and seemingly under a cloud, if you have done nothing wrong.

Unfortunately, as we’ve seen with other big charities recently, they do seem too often to allow people to walk away after some very unsavoury findings and give them a clean bill of health when the next unsuspecting employer asks for a reference.

Hi thanks for the reply,

I am sorry I was not clear, i have not even gone down a disciplinary yet, I had a fact finding interview in which I was able to demonstrate that their was no fault my side

However as I have a job lined up and I could start sooner I have negotiated leaving at an early date
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    IIWY I wouldn't just delete everything. I have done this in the past and then regretted deleting stuff like policies which would have been very useful in my new role. Stuff which doesn't affect my previous employer in any way but is useful to have. So if your current employer isn't bright enough to ask you to delete stuff, don't mention it. You can delete stuff yourself if you feel guilty about having it, and anything you think might be sensitive.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dlpfan2019 wrote: »
    I have agreed to confidentiality which is fine on my part

Since they are introducing an additional element, what are they offering in return for you being tied into a gagging clause? (financial sweetener and agreed reference is usual).
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    IIWY I wouldn't just delete everything. I have done this in the past and then regretted deleting stuff like policies which would have been very useful in my new role. Stuff which doesn't affect my previous employer in any way but is useful to have. So if your current employer isn't bright enough to ask you to delete stuff, don't mention it. You can delete stuff yourself if you feel guilty about having it, and anything you think might be sensitive.

I certainly would not delete everything! Who does the data etc belong to? If the OP's role was as fundraiser I should have thought there was a lot of data there that would be of value to the charity.

All complicated by not knowing if the OP means home computer or work computer, what the data is and how it is backed up etc. (I assume it's a home computer but that raises the question of whether it's actually stored on the computer or backed up to a server or something).

Hopefully these issues were sorted out at the meeeting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport