Backdating bank holiday entitlement

Options
Hi
It is being proposed where I work that part time staff are pro-rated for bank holidays. Bank holidays are given in addition to usual annual leave allowance and I don't have a problem with the fairness of pro-rating bank holidays for part time in general however it is being proposed that this is backdated to the beginning of the current year and I wonder if this is legal or not as leave decisions for this year have already been made (it is a customer service environment so this year's leave booking was pretty much all booked last year). The change being applied retrospectively will result in a number of hours being deducted from this year's annual leave entitlement and possibly leave employees in negative leave or having to book any xmas leave (we can't book this until at least October usually) as unpaid or cancel other leave that has already been booked. Any advice on where we stand in respect of the change being applied retrospectively would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What does your contract say about annual leave entitlement for part time staff?

By current year do you mean calendar or financial year?
  • kigamdliw
    Options
    Current year is both calendar and financial year I believe. Leave entitlement is January to December and proposal is to backdate change from January. Thanks.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kigamdliw wrote: »
    Current year is both calendar and financial year I believe. Leave entitlement is January to December and proposal is to backdate change from January. Thanks.

And what does your contract say?

Jan to Dec is the calendar year. Financial starts in April.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you ever heard of a pay rise being back dated?

There's been 3 bank holidays in England, more in Scotland & NI since 1 Jan.

Other leave later in the year that has already been booked can be cancelled by the employer subject to giving you sufficient notice, so hours can be corrected there.

Are you trying to make a problem out of the situation?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • kigamdliw
    Options
    I don't have access to my contract right now though will check it later but I am 99% certain it says that my annual leave allowance is 24 days plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time). However I am not disputing the right to pro-rata bank holidays for part time staff. I am only questioning whether they can backdate that to the beginning of the leave year when the bank holiday entitlement wasn't previously pro-rated for many years before that. Thanks.
  • kigamdliw
    Options
    No, not trying to make a problem out of the situation. In general I think that the annual leave allowance is generous. I am simply wondering whether backdating such a decision is right. As I said, I don't have a problem with the fairness of pro-rated bank holidays - it simply seems that if such a change is to be made then it should be for the next leave year. Thanks.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kigamdliw wrote: »
    No, not trying to make a problem out of the situation. In general I think that the annual leave allowance is generous. I am simply wondering whether backdating such a decision is right. As I said, I don't have a problem with the fairness of pro-rated bank holidays - it simply seems that if such a change is to be made then it should be for the next leave year. Thanks.

Well that's a different question and what your union is for.

As I indicated above, they could cancel all your future leave and allocate you the remaining hours as they see fit according to the business needs.

If you already have higher than typical annual leave, and enjoy the job and pay, its better to work with the employer than against them.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Financial starts in April.

I don't see what relevance the tax year has to any leave question. The only relevant period is the organisation's leave year, which may or may not align with financial (tax or company) or calendar years. My own holiday year runs from August to July because that is my employer's financial year, but when I started there it ran from October to September and wasn't aligned with anything else.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I can't see that they are applying anything 'retrospectively' as you are obviously in the current leave year.

Am I right in my understanding of what has happened? That the company has been dozy for many years and has been giving part-timers ALL bank holidays (or worse, all the BH when they work, so that people working on Mondays get a ridiculous amount of holiday). They have now woken up and are going to apply BH leave properly, so part-timers will potentially lose some of the extra leave they shouldn't have had anyway, and you're asking whether they can implement this in the current year even though people have already booked holidays based on the previous, over-generous, allocation?

(You may have gathered that if my understanding is correct, my view is yes, of course they can.)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work a 3 day week and I get pro rata bank holidays.

The system I work is that the Holiday year is April - March but the Bank holiday year is Jan - Dec. This is so that Xmas bank holidays are the first available to earn and are carried over to Jan if not used. I know it's a cack handed way of doing it but it works. This means I get the Xmas and Easter bank holidays but lose the three May/Aug bank holidays. A mid year change would not be backdating in this case as it only affects future Bank holiday entitlement.

The OP needs to find out;

How many bank holidays will they earn (mine are rounded up to a whole day - get the union to ask for this).
    How will bank holidays be accrued.
    Which bank holidays will they get.
    When can they be booked.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories