£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Just wanted to say hello and good luck, have you tried using budgeting software like YNAB (YouNeedABudget)? I've found it invaluable in getting my finances sorted, and strangely even fun to use.
    YES! YNAB saved our bacon, it was using that which gave us our LBM and turned the whole thing around. We use it religiously, and I can completely see why were in such dire straits beforehand - we had no bloody clue how much money we had at all.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Woohoo, survived the day. Feeling positive, updates below...

To do today:
    1. Check children's wardrobes and establish what might need buying in the next two months, and how to do it for less: Done! List not as short as I'd hoped, but one item crossed off immediately as arrived at relatives to be given some hand me down dresses and leggings for child 3. Will write out in full at some stage.
    2. Pack snacks for journey to visit family today, so we don't get tempted to stop and buy anything on the way: done!
    3. Have a NSD. Not quite done (unavoidable toll en route to relatives), but budgets unaffected as I scrabbled the toll together out of our change tin at home before leaving.

To do this week:
    1. Redo our budget to ensure that even if I only earn my minimum of £250 per month, that the shortfall is gone, whether it has to come from clothes, food, entertainment or whatever. It's lovely to try to earn extra to cover it every month, but I need to get us to a position where if I don't that we're not getting further into debt. I have done this already, yay me! I will post it in the form of an updated (and wildly depressing, but accurate) SOA when I get home at the end of the week.
    2. We are away visiting family from today until Thursday, so no worries about food shopping until then (DH at home, but can make do with what's in the house, there is loads), but I'm going to challenge myself to make Thursday's top up shop to get us through until the following Tuesday (normal food shopping day) come in at under £30.
    3. List child 3's old cot on eBay
    4. Menu plan for next week and use MySupermarket to keep the cost down to <£60 for the week
    5. DH - water meter reading to make sure our direct debit is accurate.
    6. DH - gas and electricity readings, to make sure direct debit is accurate.

Some more aims to follow tomorrow :cool:
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow! Sounds like you had a very productive day! The SOA may be depressing for now but it will get better and just think when you are earning more there will be more for the debt busting and a few family treats :)
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ps. Plus an accurate SOA means not getting into further debt of course!
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
  • Drawingaline
    Options
    What a fantastic start! :T
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Allotrope
    Options
    Well done! Following you on your journey and wishing you lots of luck
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Day 3

And onwards we go.

Good news this morning - my snowball calculator hadn’t taken account of the £96.14 CC DD that went out (it’s ok, my budget knew it was coming!), so my Debt Free Date has come forward one month without me having to do anything. OK, so it’s not overpaying, but it’s nice to see that actually I have budgeted for something and it’s happening as planned.

I mentioned yesterday that I'd written a clothing list for the children. Here it is, mainly as a reminder to me not to buy more:
    1. Leggings for child 3 (already got as a hand me down on arrival at relatives)
    2. Tops/dresses for child 3 (already got, as above)
    3. Wellies for child 3
    4. Possible wellies for child 1 and 2, need to double check sizes
    5. School shoes for child 1 (almost definitely)
    6. School shoes for child 2 (probably)
    7. Jumper for child 1
    8. School jumper each for child 1 and 2

I liked my To Do list yesterday, so to continue in that theme...

To do today:
    1. Pay in cheque received as a refund for a cancelled magazine subscription (tiny amount, only about a tenner, so it's been sat in my purse waiting to be paid in for a fortnight).
    2. NSD, ignoring some posting for business (budgeted for in business account - which incidentally has no overdraft or debt, in case anyone sees this and wonders! - and not related to personal budget).
    3. Update YNAB (budgeting app, for anyone not familiar) and make sure everything is on track.
    4. Do 2 hours work today while relatives take the children out - the work that earns me my guaranteed £250 a month can be done anywhere, so will attempt to get ahead on that so I can spend some time working on other things later in the week.

To do this week:
    1. Redo our budget to ensure that even if I only earn my minimum of £250 per month, that the shortfall is gone, whether it has to come from clothes, food, entertainment or whatever. It's lovely to try to earn extra to cover it every month, but I need to get us to a position where if I don't that we're not getting further into debt. I have done this already, yay me! I will post it in the form of an updated (and wildly depressing, but accurate) SOA when I get home at the end of the week.
    2. We are away visiting family from Monday until Thursday, so no worries about food shopping until then (DH at home, but can make do with what's in the house, there is loads), but I'm going to challenge myself to make Thursday's top up shop to get us through until the following Tuesday (normal food shopping day) come in at under £30.
    3. List child 3's old cot on eBay
    4. Menu plan for next week and use MySupermarket to keep the cost down to <£60 for the week
    5. DH - water meter reading to make sure our direct debit is accurate
    6. DH - gas and electricity readings, to make sure direct debit is accurate
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    Great start to day 3!:T
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi
    You sound like you are making good progress already. I need to get as organised as you.

We also have a mountain to climb but with hard work and determination it can be done.

Good luck on your journey
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • angelpye
    Options
    It's feeling very positive! Nice the DFD is that little bit closer :)
    EF £0/£4200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport