PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recycling in the Home

Options

Comments

• Bargainloverbec
    Options
    Just thought of another one - kitchen foil can be washed off and used several times AND can then go in the bin for recycling.
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    those little jars herbs come in are great for getting cuttings going on the window cill
    Big plastic drinks bottles become slug traps
    Plastic mushroom trays good as "saucers" for watering some of the smaller plant pots I'm growing on outside.
    old small marg/spreadable butter tubs - great for storing crafty items for kids (and they stack brilliantly) Also one contains "first aid bits" and another a basic sewing kit when we go off in the caravan
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't put glass bottles in the freezer, water expands when frozen so they're likely to crack and make a mess. Same as metal pipes in the winter. Better in something plastic that's not as brittle as glass.

But otherwise a good idea, and better than taking them down to recycling banks.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess we don't reuse so much but we do recycle as much as poss. We get a collection lorry to take away magazines and newspaper. They also take glass bottles and foil, I've taken to bringing waste home from work such as foil pie trays when someone has a pie warmed up because I can't bear to throw them away. We take cardboard to the local recycling centre - cereal packets, insides of toilet rolls all that kind of stuff, it really does add up. My biggest gripe is plastic bottles. We get 2 litre milk bottles because that's what we sell at work, but the local council doesn't recycle plastic. So I save them up (washed) in sacks in the garage and take them about threee times a year to the nearest recycling facility which is only 6 miles away but is run by a different authority which has obviously thought more about environmental issues. If we go out for the day and buy a bottle of pop or whatever I always bring the bottles home for recycling, can't bear to put them in the bin. Oh, and just won a calico shopping bag on ebay so no more plastic carrier bags for me!
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use one of those small herb jars for making small amounts of salad dressings.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    You can use little jars for potting up the last little bit of jam too.Kids love these when they are ill in bed (their own private little jam pot at breakfast).
    save all the screws from old furniture or when you've finished a DIY project and there are some left.Put them in seperate labelled jars.Cross head wood/cross head chipboard,slot head wood/slot head chipboard etc..much better than having to fork out for a new packet because you cant find any even though you know you had some.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Metal lids from jam jars are very good if you just need to decant a small amount of stuff eg wood stain or paint for those hard to reach corners. OH also uses the empty pill containers for jobs requiring small amounts of PVA glue
    Regards
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Hunnymonster
    Options
    I chop the base off a 2 litre / 4 pint / 6 pint milk bottle to make a great seed funnel for filling the bird feeders - use the cut off base to scoop up the seed and it pours nicely out of the neck into the feeder.

Mind you I should say that our bird feeder seed & nuts is kept in (rodent resistant) 25kg plastic buckets.....
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Someone gave me some miniature Baileys (I know, what were they thinking? What's wrong with full sized?!!), and the plastic coating around the bottle comes off, leaving a little plain plastic bottle with gold top, the perfect size for holiday shampoo, or something similar, or homemade face toners and things. An expensive way of doing it, but if you're given some..!

I use the inners of toilet roll and kitchen roll, shredded, as my dry ingredient in the composter. All my fruit and veg waste, teabags and eggshells go in there, too.

Eggshells around plants to deter slugs.

The see-through plastic punnets you get nectarines and the like in are a great size for a cloche over seedlings and young plants. Water bottles can be good too, but are more fiddly, and sometimes blue.

I have a friend who uses cereal boxes to paint on (the insides). And she's very good. You'd never know her work was Rice Krispies on the other side!! Especially once it's framed.
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought of another one this morning as I was scrabbing around a drawer to find a pen - Jam Jars make handy pen pots for by the phone, computer etc....

JO xx
    #KiamaHouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family