MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Pet versus debt?

Options

Comments

• the-mad-one
    Options
    i also have been in this situation not such huge amounts but had spent money on an operation for our childrens gerbil to remove a lump from his stomach which we were told was just a cyst,did this twice then vet said he wasnt sure that it was a cyct and couldnt guarentee it wouldnt return. As gerbil was nearly 2yrs and they dont have such a long life we decided best to put it to sleep. One month later his brother got same lump and we were advised not to go ahead with treatment as would prob be same result. Sometimes its just not feasable to spend the money tho i would agree that life comes first if its going to be a good quality one
  • the_steveo
    Options
    fubar wrote:
    I have a dog called Rocky (cross German Sheppard/Collie) he's aged about 12 now, I have him insured (via Tesco) and every year I keep seeing his premiums go up and every year I think he is worth every penny, I would hate to be put into the position of thinking about costs over his welfare, would I go into debt for him....yes I would but I would not prolong his situation if there was any chance he would suffer for it.

to sum it up as some one said in a funny notice I seen.

"To you, it's an animal. To me, he is an adopted son who is
    short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak clearly."

THAT IS THE BEST DESCRIPTION OF A DOG I HAVE EVER SEEN AND I AGREE WITH YOU 100%:T
  • Hevs_2
    Options
    Ask the vet if he can refer you to the nearest vet collage or school and negotate with them about them using the pet in teaching class and getting the treatment cheaper that way. I did this with a mare of mine and she still got the correct treatment from a qualified vet but because it was a teaching session it was cheaper. Other vet students also got to learn from it, so it saved the mare and gave experiance to others
  • Andrew_Brooks
    Options
    Lets get real here its a dog , I have always owned dogs all my life from newfoundlands to whippets they have all had good lives and still do but I would not have any problems having my current whippet put down if she was going to cost me £900, after all they cost £300 to buy so I would be £600 up with another dog Quids in
    this is a moneysaving website isn't it ?
  • silkcutblue
    Options
    Hevs wrote:
    Ask the vet if he can refer you to the nearest vet collage or school and negotate with them about them using the pet in teaching class and getting the treatment cheaper that way. I did this with a mare of mine and she still got the correct treatment from a qualified vet but because it was a teaching session it was cheaper. Other vet students also got to learn from it, so it saved the mare and gave experiance to others

Great idea! Maybe after they've finished trying to splint it's left ear with a lollypop stick they can all line up and practise telling you it's dead.

"I'm sorry. Doggy has died."

"I'm sorry, Fido didn't make it."

"That darned tootin' champ slipped away."

Kids? Please don't think you can go all TESCOS value with your pet. If you wouldn't do it to grandma, don't do it to Rover.
  • notsogoodMS
    Options
    We had a cat that we had rescued from a student home I lived in (the owner was selling the house and wanted rid of the two resident cats - but thats another story).

She lived with my now wife and I for 11 years. One morning we saw her in the back garden. When she didn't come for her food, we went out to get her. My wife picked her up to find that one of her back legs was completely mangled.

We took her to the vets straight away. The vet said that she would operate to try and pin the leg if she could, otherwise she would amputate it. Sure enough the leg was amputated. The cat was then at the vets convalescing for quite a few days.

Eventually we got her home, but she would not eat nor drink, so back to the vets she went. A blood test revealed that her kidneys had packed up. We made the decision then and there to have her put down. I stayed behind with the cat while a very tearful wife went to the car. Watching your pet being put down is not the nicest thing in the world, it was made worse because she screamed as the anaesthetic was injected!

Anyway, to cap it all, the total bill came to around £1500. Luckily we could afford to pay it outright, however, I have vowed that if any of my pets (we have a new cat - it looks nervous :eek: ) have such a horrific injury again then I would not hesitate to have it put down to prevent its further suffering. The lessons I think I have learned are:

(1). I think that there is a fine line with a vet caring for the animal and a desire to make money from owners who are understandably attached to their pets.

(2). The cat suffered big time due to decisions that we made about what should happen to her based on our own emotional needs.

(3). If this happens to a wild animal it would be put down.

(4). I will not see a pet of mine suffer again to appease my own wellbeing. The wellbeing of the animal comes first, and if that means euthanasia then so be it.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a sick pet and cannot afford the vet's bill, then the first option is PDSA, Blue Cross, RSPCA or other charities mentioned here. If you are in debt, they will always help. It always amazes me that owners think nothing of having their pet's put down, but a relative in severe pain with a terminal illness, then no way!
    (it's against the law as well)!!
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • notsogoodMS
    Options
    theloft wrote:
    If you have a sick pet and cannot afford the vet's bill, then the first option is PDSA, Blue Cross, RSPCA or other charities mentioned here. If you are in debt, they will always help. It always amazes me that owners think nothing of having their pet's put down, but a relative in severe pain with a terminal illness, then no way!
    (it's against the law as well)!!

I also abhore the idea that a human being can be left with no quality of life in the case of terminal illnesses, and there is nothing that can be done about it even if they request euthanasia.
  • mdcoach
    mdcoach Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    This dilema is personal. It is how you choose to repay complete trust and lifelong unconditional friendship. You live with your conscience. Your conscience is a measure of you as a person.

There is plenty of sensible advice here to avoid the issue being just a financial one, please read them. Also, for those avoiding pet insurance, remember it's like all insurance, you pay a small premium so that you don't face a disaster later, knowing you might never make a claim. It doesn't make it a waste of money.

Because of the NHS most people have no concept of how expensive healthcare is. We expect it too cheaply.

For those people making this decision on compassionate grounds, a wonderful vet (my daughter) said to me at a time when it was appropriate, that euthanasia was a privelege. She was right.
  • bytor_3
    Options
    My wife and I have had our fair share of vets bills, 8 cats, 1 dog, 8 rabbits, 2 guinea pigs and 2 degu's keep us poor. Our vets will treat without immediate payment, they let us pay when we can. Our bill is clear but probably not for long as we have 1 cat with cancer on medication, she was given weeks to live 2 years ago, shes happy and always the first to greet people. We have another cat who nearly died last year with a bladder blockage and spent a week in the vets, cost £300 plus £20 per month on pills for both. We had all the cats vaccinated last year £400. In all in the last year we've spent over £2,500 pound at the vets.
    We pay the price but we don't count the cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure