Buying a Bigger Birdhouse - MFW 2022

Options
SeekingFlight
SeekingFlight Posts: 169 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 21 November 2022 at 2:47PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Greetings,

Welcome to my first mfw diary :) it's nearly a year since I actually got my mortgage and yesterday i made my final over payment of year 1. Since i didn't spend as much on the move as i expected it was moderately easy to overpay the full 10% (more than that and i get penalised). Year 2 will be more of a push so i thought i would start a diary to help me keep focus.

This is my first home and it's been a bit more of a struggle than i expected to keep on top of it's needs. It currently comprises of me (35), my partner (37) and a syrian hamster called Siri because he looks at me like he knows everything and i am an idiot.

Y1 Breakdown looked like this
Mortgage: £200,000
Interest: 2.18% fixed for 5 years
Monthly Payment: £815.16
Regular over payment of £300 per month

Y2
Mortgage: £174,621.45
Interest: 2.18% fixed for 4 years
Monthly Payment: £780.11
Regular over payment: £335.51 per month

Y4
Mortgage: £140,68.90
Interest: 2.18% fixed for 2 years
Monthly Payment: £726.00
Regular over payment: £1100 per month

happy saving :j
Make £2024 in 2024 £374.71/£2024"Remember not to do too many things at once" said me to herself.Mortgage Free Wannabe #25 2023 OP £2000/£7000

Comments

• Silence101
    Options
    Well done on overpaying 10% in the first year, it's always impressive seeing the numbers go down at the end of the year!
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    It's my 1st Houseiversary :)

They took my mortgage money 1 year ago today. Tomorrow i can start paying off the 10% over payment for year 2 and having done some working out i'm going to make an additional over payment each month instead in larger chunks. I have a 6 month buffer that i'm not willing to part with but i do shuffle the cash around.

Currently i have a 12 month regular saver that pays out in October at 5% the money in it makes more in interest than the equivalent amount costs on the mortgage. So i'm moving cash out of the buffer and onto the OP until it pays out when i'll put the money back into the buffer and move the interest onto the OP.

Sometimes i think i get it and sometimes it confuses me! I wish they had taught basic budgeting, pension info and explained compound interest in secondary school.
    Make £2024 in 2024 £374.71/£2024"Remember not to do too many things at once" said me to herself.Mortgage Free Wannabe #25 2023 OP £2000/£7000
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What an amazing start:j. The very best of luck with your journey

PPxx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Escapar2020
    Options
    Wish I'd be as organised as you are overpaying from your first year!
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    Wish I'd be as organised as you are overpaying from your first year!
    Thank Martin :rotfl: i looked at the mortgage calculator and saw how much i'd save in interest. Plus i feel like my mortgage rate is quite low so i want to maximise the benefit of that over the next 5 years with the mortgage i have.
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    Welcome to October :grin: my favourite month.

October Mortgage: £173,835.92
    Interest paid in Y1: £4122.24 :eek:

So lets go for a friendly October overpayment of £200 before my regular payment comes off in November.I still have about £400 to put back in the emergency fund so i'll be chipping away at that too but it's pretty healthy so far.

Currently loving Shop**um getting all my treats that way (referral code ji7s6: Octobers treat is Lindt chocolate if you join) and shop. Thinking about picking up a bit of xmas work at the local market but it will be tough doing the FT job and extra and all the things life requires.

Todays win was cheap cheeses, Co-op has Camembert reduced to £1.01 and Brie to 83p, my partner loves them and i never buy them. Also got 350g of Mature Cathedral City for £1.25.

Also i recommend Stoptober :beer: so much cheaper being out drinking soda water and hopefully good for the waistline as well as the bottom line.
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    October is definitely the month of jobs so much going on at the moment i'm adding a to do list to my diary to motivate me.

Actions
    - Call the student loans company and add on the additional 2 payments after the last time we spoke so i know how much is remaining (should pay this off by next October :) )
    - Make the additional overpayment on the mortgage for October
    Call BT and negotiate a better deal
    Call Eon and negotiate a better deal

Extra Cash Goals
    - Stay under budget (i got a surprise invite to a birthday dinner so will have to be very careful)
    - Make £50 on Jobspo**r in October
    - Sell 5 items from the house
    - Submit some more writing to magazines
    - Come up with a double your cash scheme for November

I also need to open a new regular saver once mine cashes out on the 26th October.

Right lets have at it then!
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Call Eon and negotiate a better deal

Just a quick heads up SeekingFlight. The tariffs we currently have available are listed on our website. If you've an online account and pop your usage into the Quote Tool, you'll be able to see an instant quote (both monthly and annually). Best to use kWh rather than a cash amount. Although, for a much wider picture, I'd pop the usage on to one of the independent Price Comparison Sites. This will show you what's available in the wider market, both with us and with the other suppliers.

Hope this is useful SeekingFlight.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • SeekingFlight
    Options
    Since it's national novel writing month again and i have foolishly joined in i figured i better keep up in here as well.

November

November Mortgage: £173,032.58

Actions
    - [STRIKE]Call the student loans company and add on the additional 2 payments after the last time we spoke so i know how much is remaining (should pay this off by next October )[/STRIKE] - DONE
    - Make the additional overpayment on the mortgage for October - :mad:
    - [STRIKE]Call BT and negotiate a better deal[/STRIKE] - DONE
    - [STRIKE]Call Eon and negotiate a better deal[/STRIKE] - DONE

Extra Cash Goals
    - [STRIKE]Stay under budget (i got a surprise invite to a birthday dinner so will have to be very careful)[/STRIKE] - :mad: over by £11
    - [STRIKE]Make £50 on Jobspo**r in October[/STRIKE] - DONE
    - Sell 5 items from the house - Nope
    - [STRIKE]Submit some more writing to magazines[/STRIKE] - DONE
    - [STRIKE]Come up with a double your cash scheme for November[/STRIKE] - DONE

[STRIKE]I also need to open a new regular saver once mine cashes out on the 26th October.[/STRIKE] - DONE

A mixed bag this month, feeling pleased with myself for getting through all the tasks relating to checking my gas, internet etc and for dealing with the student loans company. I find talking to people about these things a bit stressful.

Annoyed i went over my budget i was doing really well until that birthday dinner, fancy steak restaurant was just too much for my budgeting prowess. Still i feel that i got better value for my cash by eating the steak rather than the pumpkin risotto (vegetarian option) which was £12.95. My overpayment is also currently on hold as i had to pay my line rental in advance for BT and i forgot so there went my £200 saved this month.

Sometimes it feels like you are not making any impact at all.:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback