68 Year old - Starting Pension ? - Contribute and then cash out ?

Options
A family member is 68 years old and doesn't have a private pension.

I believe they can still open up a private pension at their age and receive a boost in their contributions.

As they are already at pension age can they then immediately 'cash-out' ?

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2018 at 12:31AM
    Options
    If he has no earnings then in each tax year he can contribute £2,880 net. The taxpayer makes this up to £3,600 (it often takes a couple of months for the £720 to arrive at the provider). Then he can take the money out as soon as he likes.

Three caveats.

(i) 75% of the money - £2,700 - will be taxable. Whether it should be taxed depends on his other income.
    (ii) Even if that money should pay no tax, it may have to pay at an emergency rate and he will then have to claim the tax back. Someone will probably be along shortly to tell you how to avoid this complication.
    (iii) If he withdraws all £3,600 only a few weeks after opening the account he might find himself paying the provider a fee for early closure. This can often be avoided by leaving some suitable sum behind for the future. You need to read the T&Cs and the list of charges.

http://www.hl.co.uk/help#sipp,-drawdown-and-annuity/sipp

http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/sipp/charges-and-interest-rates
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your reply - That is really useful.

He is on a low income and although he is a tax payer he is not currently paying much. I assume the same applies in this case.

Can this be done each tax year for the £720 bonus ?

Thanks
  • kidmugsy
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    He is on a low income and although he is a tax payer he is not currently paying much. I assume the same applies in this case.

Can this be done each tax year for the £720 bonus ?

If he's already a taxpayer then he'll have to pay 20% tax on the £2,700. That reduces his gain from £720 to £180. Then subtract any fees that might apply (which depends on the provider). Is it worth doing? Opinions will differ.

Yes, he can do it each tax year.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I think it can be done until he is 75 but whichever company he chooses will be able to confirm this.

He is likely to pay £540 tax on the taxable element when he withdraws it so the "bonus" is ultimately only £180.

Still a reasonable return but not necessarily.what you were hoping for?
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All sounds good. His income will be reducing shortly anyway as his self employment will be ending, so he is most likely going to be under the personal allowance.

It is very useful information. I'll do some research and try to find out which company have the lowest fees for this type of thing.

Thanks again
  • kidmugsy
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    It is very useful information. I'll do some research and try to find out which company have the lowest fees for this type of thing.

Hargreaves Lansdown are a good bet. As long as he leaves his money as cash and doesn't invest it they have zero annual charges for people who say they are happy to get their statements online.

But beware "Early account closure fee £295 + VAT" - don't accidentally close the account too early. Their phone service is very good: if you have any questions when you've finished studying their website just give them a bell.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Hargreaves Lansdown are a good bet. As long as he leaves his money as cash and doesn't invest it they have zero annual charges for people who say they are happy to get their statements online.

But beware "Early account closure fee £295 + VAT" - don't accidentally close the account too early. Their phone service is very good: if you have any questions when you've finished studying their website just give them a bell.
    With HL it's worth doing but you need to leave £1,000 in to keep the SIPP open. If he is well under the personal tax allowance he will be able to claim any tax charged back. So for the first year he will be able to withdraw by a UFPLS £2,600 after the tax credit is added to leave a balance of £1,000. Every year thereafter until he is 75 he can pay in £2,880 and get a tax credit of £720 which will take the total balance to £4,600. He can then withdraw £3,600 making £720 profit and pay in the remaining £2,880 the following year and do the same in future years.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any stakeholder pension can do it too as they are not allowed to charge any fees other than the AMC.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure