PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Courgettes

Options

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Courgette and lime cake is nice too.
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    Courgette and lime cake is nice too.

That sounds intriguing!
    Any chance you could share the recipe ( or point me in the right direction ), please.
    I'd love to try it as I'm getting a bit bored with chocolate courgette cakes and brownies
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I made a lovely courgette and lemon cake recently:
    200g grated courgettes.
    Zest of 1 lemon
    3 eggs
    190g caster sugar
    160ml oil
    290g SR flour.

Bake for 40 mins at 170o I did mine in a loaf tin. Make a glac! icing with some lemon zest on top.

Also just adding courgette to every single thing I'm cooking! Loads of 'em!
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Options
    carly wrote: »
    That sounds intriguing!
    Any chance you could share the recipe ( or point me in the right direction ), please.
    I'd love to try it as I'm getting a bit bored with chocolate courgette cakes and brownies

INGREDIENTS SERVES 8

4 eggs
    250g caster sugar
    100ml sunflower oil or light olive oil
    6 tbsp Greek-style yogurt
    0.5 tsp vanilla extract
    1 lime
    250g small courgettes
    300g self-raising flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    100g pistachio nuts

For the lime frosting:

150g cream cheese
    75g butter
    300g icing sugar
    1 lime

PREPARATION
    Zest and juice the limes. Coarsely grate the small courgettes. Soften the butter. Sift the icing sugar.

METHOD
    1 Heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 4.
    2 Line a 900ml loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
    3 In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt and vanilla extract.
    4 Stir in the lime zest and juice, and the grated courgette.
    5 Then sift in the flour and baking powder.
    6 Reserve 2 tbsp pistachios, and fold through the remainder until well combined.
    7 Spoon into the loaf tin.
    8 Bake for 45-50 minutes or until well risen, golden brown and springy to the touch.
    9 Cool slightly in the tin, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
    10 For the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter with the lime zest.
    11 Beat in the icing sugar to form a smooth frosting, but take care not to over-beat, otherwise the mixture will become runny.
    12 When the loaf has cooled completely, spread over the frosting.
    13 Coarsely chop the reserved nuts and sprinkle over, to decorate.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Veggie chilli, veggie lasagne-both freeze well. I made Yotam Ottolenghi's stuffed courgettes last week-they were good and I'll do them again. I also use them in moussaka instead of aubergine.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    Veggie chilli, veggie lasagne-both freeze well. I made Yotam Ottolenghi's stuffed courgettes last week-they were good and I'll do them again. I also use them in moussaka instead of aubergine.

I sometimes griddle them and use instead of pasta in lasagna, works well especially with vegetarian lasagne
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I grate and freeze them to use in soup but also cut them into thick slices, brush with oil or fat from the roasting tin and cook them for the last 15 minutes with the roast spuds in the oven. We do also eat them chopped into fingers, raw in salad.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Options
    I like this recipe https://thecookreport.co.uk/tomato-halloumi-bake/
    (it's on my meal plan this week:)) easy to scale up or down, freezes well and I've found subbing the spices for a couple of teaspoons of curry powder works really well. The tom/courgette mix also is lovely topped with a poached or fried egg instead of the halloumi.
    This is also lovely https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/5699-zucchini-bread-with-feta-and-olives , though I use SR flour instead of the flour/baking powder. It also works baked as muffins rather than a loaf. Both versions freeze really well but I found the loaf if well wrapped and in an airtight tin kept longer than the two days stated.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Georgina Hartley's recipe for Courgette Relish. I cant make enough to keep up with demands (with menaces!) from friends and family.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hollow them out and stuff, or grate them into everything to add more veg. I used to have corgette plants when I was at my family home and we used to grate the into everything and give them away to friends and neighbours (I only planted 2) & still had enough to stuff and bake with cheese.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure