Full and Final Settlement Help

Options
Long story short - 6 years ago I had a business that failed and lost my main PAYE employment at the same time, which ended up in approx 30k of debt which was sorted out without getting help from a debt charity after 5 years.

Last year I had a relationship breakdown which led to 9k of debt which I have entered a DMP for with PayPlan for approx 3 years which has been in place 4 months, after some negotiating and payments the balance stands at £6,959.

I will be in a position where I can be gifted roughly 50% of this from a family member to pay off the balance.

My question is the majority of the defaults are currently only 3/4 months old, has anyone got any knowledge of 50% F&F balances being offered at this early stage?

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 July 2019 at 12:37PM
    Options
    You are not very likely to get any sizeable reductions so soon after the accounts have been defaulted.

You would be more likely to successfully negotiate lower settlements at the end of the current financial year ([STRIKE]April[/STRIKE] March 2020). This is because the DCAs will be looking to balance their books ready for the next financial year. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are not very likely to get any sizeable reductions so soon after the accounts have been defaulted.

You would be more likely to successfully negotiate lower settlements at the end of the current financial year (April 2020). This is because the DCAs will be looking to balance their books ready for the next financial year. :)

Surely you mean March 2020? After April 6th they are aleady in their new financial year.

Lots of firms I have worked for bust a gut to get cash into the business in February/March to improve their current year ending financial position. Strangely enough this might mean their next years income is compromised but basically, IMO, it's pretty much driven by all the bosses wanting their on-target (or over-target) bonuses and they'll worry about the next year when it comes around :D
  • RecentPost
    RecentPost Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I would never of factored that in!

None are with DCA's but will probably start to filter over soon.
  • RecentPost
    Options
    I got to the point where I was able to offer 4 of the creditors 50% I did this with Payplan.

Two rejected bamboo/likely loans.

However two Aqua cards were offered at 65%! on a balance of 2700 and 388! So this has reduced my balance considerably.

I was shocked they did this at an early stage but I guess it saves them a lot of time with the DMP going on for so long.

I am down to £1800 on my DMP - considering a snowball for the rest! :D
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Yes it's possible. Start by offering less than 50% to give yourself some room for negotiation
  • leninspot
    Options
    I see it's a while since your post but noticed you are with PayPlan. I was also with them but it costs money & as every penny counts it doesn't make sense. If I were you I'd either move to a free service or do your own DMP. I did the latter & it's been fine. Good luck.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    leninspot said:
    I see it's a while since your post but noticed you are with PayPlan. I was also with them but it costs money & as every penny counts it doesn't make sense. If I were you I'd either move to a free service or do your own DMP. I did the latter & it's been fine. Good luck.
    Payplan is a free service
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport