Confused about Emergency Tax & P45!

Options
Hi all! I hope this is the right place....

I recently started a new job in October but my previous employer didn't sent over my P45 on time for the new payroll. Whilst I do have it now (via email...), I have already been put on a temporary emergency tax code.

HOWEVER, I am unfortunately leaving this job at the end of the month to start (another) new job on December 4th...

Which P45 do I give to my new job? My P45 from my old employer (with correct tax code), my P45 from my current employer (with emergency tax code), or both?!

Please help, very confused and stressed :( Thank you in advance.

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a P45 is a document that relates only to your most recent employment

you cannot give the December job your "old" P45

what tax code do you actually have at the moment? "emergency" can mean 2 different values
  • ftb_deena
    Options
    Thank you 00eec25 :)

My previous tax code was 1185L.

I won't know what emergency tax code I've been added onto until I get my wage this week.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    After your first new payslip HMRC will get the information that you have started on a new job. They will release a new taxcode to your new employer and tax will sort itself out over the following months. As 00ec25 says its the information from your latest P45 that is required. This will help ensure that the amount of sorting out required is minimised.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    1185L is the emergency tax code!

It should sort itself out in due course with the new employer but if you are paid by both the second employer and the new (third) one in the same tax month you might end up owing HMRC some tax as you may have received two lots of tax free allowances for that month.

NB. This is nothing unusual and is nothing to do with when you worked for each employer, it happens when you are paid by two employers in the same tax period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure