Need to lose weight

Options

Comments

• jack07
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight I recommend that you should change your diet, eat healthier food and drink plenty of water. Try your best to cut down on sugary products, especially sodas. Doing this with a great exercise routine that suits you and I guarantee that you would see results.
  • tonyf33
    tonyf33 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    5BX or XBX 11 minutes a day as used by the Canadian airforce BITD and still as relevant now as it was in the 1950s. http://www.fit450.com/HTML/5BX_Intro.html No need for gym membership and can be done at home or even in an office. Twice a day would be even more beneficial.
    As above, eating is the huge influencer, avoiding easy/simple carbs sugar loaded drinks/food would be a start, increase protein and use them as a 'snack' item. Thinking about what time of day you eat also can help.
    Also when exercising, don't forget that muscle is denser than fat so IF you are increasing muscle mass you won't necessarily see a big difference as you get closer to a target goal.

Don't try to get it off in one big chunk, we put weight on slowly, we need to take it off at the same rate but it's actually harder to do that because we want the fix ASAP. Dropping only 500cals from your daily intake for what you would need would see you lose about 7-10lbs of fat in 3 months, you won't necessarily lose that in total weight as per above. Adding exercise to make that deficit to your daily intake would improve that further, as would types of food and when you eat.

Good luck.
  • RyanEzio
    RyanEzio Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need to follow any complex plan .Just walk a lot more and eat less. That's all you need to do

I've found have 3 meals a day high in protein, stops snacking inbetween meals.
    Ryan
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    I need to lose weight, I weigh 83kg which is about 10kg overweight. I have fat around my stomach mainly. I do take medicines for health problems. Are there any YouTube videos I could watch and do exercises.

Thanks

I'm not an expert in fitness, although I play a lot of sports these days, but I have lost in total (from my heaviest to now) 7 stone and gone from dangerously obese to being the fittest in my football, so I think I'm somewhat knowledgeable in weight loss and the rule among weight loss consultants is 15/85.

15% Exercise
    85% Diet

and in actuality, the 15% exercise isn't even that important (just a guideline)..... but the 85% diet certainly is.

If you're not going to use a weight loss plan like SW or WW or something that basically structures your 'diet' for you, then you simply need to maintain a calorie deficit and the way you'll do that is by eating less and moving more. If the moving more is troublesome, then try and reduce even more. If you're really brave, you can even throw in the occasional fasting day. They work wonders honestly.... I don't do them often anymore, as I don't need to, but at the start of my weight loss, I would have days where I simply consumed 'free food' (SW term) for an entire day and that would result in a consumption of about 600 calories, which is considered fasting. Not only do they help undo any damage you might have done throughout the week, they boost your metabolism going forward.

Obviously there's a lot to take in there, so starting simple, you need to think about how you can cut calories in meals while maintaining the nutritional balance and satisfaction. Try to get 2/3's of your plate made up of greens and veg etc, and the other 1/3 a combination of either complex carbs or healthy protein sources such as chicken and turkey. Red meat is a decent protein source but is fattier and generally not as good for you. If you happen to like your red meat though, it's the simple things that will do it 5% Beef mince (as opposed to 12% or uhhhh, 20%), bacon without the fat etc. Fish is another awesome low calorie high protein option.

Look into things like Quark and Fat Free Soft Cheeses. Quark is a fantastic source of protein and is now being widely preferred to by body builders instead of the protein shakes which contain artificial flavours and additives in them.

Ultimately, if you want to be serious about this, you need to be willing to change multiple facets of your life, not just your evening meal for example. No idea where you work, but if you enjoy 3 or 4 lunch takeaways a week (like the guys I work with) then this really isn't going to work, unless you skip tea (calorie deficit, remember?) and that's tough. I had to knock them on the head and it's hard, especially with peer pressure, plus the fact I really used to enjoy my chicken burger from the local takeaway, but having lost the weight, I can now treat myself occasionally feeling guilt free. What I can't do, is return to my previous regime of 3 or 4 takeaways a week. There's a reason the lads I work with have all grown bigger while I've shrunk, and the process seems to be continuing.

Drinks, stick to coffee and teas in the morning, skimmed milk can help cut calories, or none at all if you like. Diet drinks are fine (ignore the stigma). Water is awesome. Avoid juice drinks like pure orange and apple. They look good and people say they're healthy, but they're not. Beer really isn't great, although there are lower calorie options such as Coors Light, Bud Light and I think Carling isn't too bad. Stella, Grolsch, Heineken etc, I seem to remember are quite high calorie. If you're willing to take the stick off your mates (as I did) then vodka diet coke and gin and slimline tonic are your best bets. I think vodka diet coke is the lowest calorie of the alcohol drinks at about 50 calories a glass (less than an average slice of bread that). If you're bothered about the amount of stick you get, well, just remind them there's a reason why professional footballers drink vodka diet coke and not strongbow dark fruits :)

Speaking of bread, no bread. Just cut it out if you can or really minimise it. On SW which I've done for many months, a couple of slices of bread are encouraged as a healthy extra, but I like to call it a gateway food :rotfl: in that, you have a couple of rounds of toast and before you know it, you've just had 4 more and a slice of cheese on toast as well. I'm convinced the enzymes in the starch tricks your brain into wanting more....

When you do have a takeaway, consider the healthier options such as Chicken tikka wraps. If you've not tried one, give it a go. They're a great shout actually and fast became one of my favourites after I started my weight loss. Although I'm shamelessly resorting to a terrible analogy here, they're also the takeaway equivalent of chocolate that makes you thin, if you play the game.... especially when compared to things like pizza, cheesy chips. Avoid the takeaway mayo and make sure you have a tortilla wrap rather than the full on naan which will contain a lot more calories. Put light mayo on from home rather than let the takeaway guys put it on (As it'll be full fat).... and all in all, they're not too bad. Also, remember that when you read poorly researched articles in the Sun with the headline "HEALTHY WRAPS ARE WORSE THAN PIZZA" (as I saw a few months back), that's because they intentionally fudge the numbers by comparing a large wrap to a small pizza, for example. Nobody goes a takeaway and has a small pizza.... literally nobody, we all have the Large Pizza and we all have the Large Wrap, and pound for pound, the wrap will always be less calories every time, without exception.... even less if you cut that mayo and takeaway sauce out. :)

It's all about cutting the calories where realistically possible and while this sounds a lot of work and effort, I genuinely picked this up so fast (within weeks) and it soon became something as natural as breathing. I don't even think about it now. I walk into a shop with my mates, they head for the sandwich counter, I had for the fresh meats and salads section. If I do grab a sandwich, I look for brown instead of white bread, I have egg and cress instead of all day breakfast, honestly.... it eventually weaves itself into your everyday thinking and then it's not a chore at all. :)

Good Luck!!
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    !!!!!! do you do with quark? Eat it raw or cook it?
    Thanks.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • sam.4000
    sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks.

Quark is a low fat soft cheese, much thicker than fromage frais. You can buy it flavoured such as Arla protein 20% or buy it plain and some supermarkets do a savoury flavour.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.
    You can do lots of things with Quark. Make cheesecakes with it, use it as a thickener for sauces etc....

However, my personal choice, I make my own protein yoghurts. I mix in sugar free cordial such as orange, summer fruits, blackcurrant. This thins out the texture to something essentially the same as a yogurt, adds no calories and completely obscures the flavour of soft cheese.

One of those bad boys is about 200 calories but if is almost 100% protein. I don't add any fruit to it like some, but eating one of them in the morning fills me up and keeps me satisfied for a long time. Being protein, you also know your body is benefiting a whole lot more than when you're eating those awful 'oats so simple' pots.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eat less move more, job done.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eat less carbohydrates and less sugar. You can still have both but drastically cutting back and eating more protein will leave you feeling full for longer, help retain muscle and allow for more efficient weight loss

This, try and sleep about 8 and a half hours per night

And mild exercise such as a long walk each day or similar where it elevates heart rate, but you don't need to get yourself too out of breath.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • falcieri
    falcieri Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    I need to lose weight, I weigh 83kg which is about 10kg overweight. I have fat around my stomach mainly. I do take medicines for health problems. Are there any YouTube videos I could watch and do exercises.

Thanks

In June I was 82kg. I want to be 145lbs (65kgs). I downloaded two apps - MyNetDiary which means I can log everything I eat and monitor my intake, and Runkeeper so I can monitor my burn/ I bought some trainers and just get out and run/walk/hike. It's now the end of June and I'm 162lbs (73kgs). It takes your dedication that's all. The simple maths is that you need a 500 calorie a day deficit because 3500 cals = 1lb of fat, so if you have a deficit of 500 cals a day and you're accurate with your calorie logging you'll lose 1lb a week.

I'd recommend AWorkoutRoutine's website too to dispell all the myths that we use as an excuse for not being able to lose weight such as plateaus, logging calories accurately etc.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport