HNC Scotland, what benefit?

Options
I'm taking an HNC course in financial services and would like to know how much having this credential will benefit me if I have no other real academic credentials to speak of.

I was previously a self made privately contracted person working in sales and marketing and did pretty good at it but I had a spinal cord injury and had to start over again. I'm now working an entry level job in finance for only £19k a year and they are helping me get an HNC over a year.

Realistically what can I expect if I complete this? If I can get a £25k salary in a year it will suit me well.

Comments

• Diamandis
    Options
    Will the HNC open up other opportunities within the company you currently work for? I usually find the best way to find out what employers are looking for is typing the qualification into s1jobs. I've done this for HNC finance and there doesn't seem to be much of a demand for this qualification although the police do seem to recognise this so that's a possible option if other jobs open up there that would be more suitable for you.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,687 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having a vocational qualification is certainly better than having nothing on the academic side and might well help to get you an interview in preference to candidates who have similar experience but no paper qualifications to demonstrate they can and have stuck at learning new skills in their own time.

Whether it will get you a job at £25K...who knows?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Farmer_Johnson
    Options
    It can’t hurt, but referring to your other thread, welching on a contract that you signed would more than offset any benefits.

A CCJ gained by choice would exclude you completely from some jobs in Finance.
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    The HNC is an academic qualification rather than vocational. If your employer is helping you then it makes sense to do it, as it sounds like they recognise it and it may help you get a promotion with them.

I'm not sure it would easily take you to a £25k job though, because even people with accountancy degrees often end up in entry level roles then doing their ACCA or CIMA exams to get promotions.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A HNC would be sufficient to apply for doing a degree at university and as vegasvisitor says, trade qualifications are more useful for getting the money.
  • Brummie85
    Options
    I have just completed a HNC, in Construction & Built Environment.

It was my 2nd go as a HE student and I've gotta say - this time felt a lot harder. This is mainly due to the fact that as well as completing the course & studies, you are likely to be working full time and have other commitments to consider. If you are going for a HNC to be completed with 12 months - I've not heard of that before but it will be a serious workload

It is equivalent to the 1st year of a degree programme. A HND or Foundation degree is equivalent to the 2nd year of a degree or other professional Level 5 qualifications. As previously mentioned, most places offering a HNC,HND or Foundation Degree are tied with another HE provider to give access onto their degree courses afterwards. It's also a slightly cheaper path to getting a degree if you want one. It may take 6 - 12 months longer but the fees are lower and you get the qualifications along the way. With a degree you are paying £9k a year and are tied in for the whole course.

Getting this kind of qualification doesn't automatically justify a jump in seniority & pay. In our group of 11 students we did talk about our work and earnings - the salary range was from around £19 - 42k a year. But at the end of it, we all left with the same qualification.

Quals at this level are still worth having though. They open doors, typically not just because of the course content but they demonstrate an ability to learn and produce work to a fairly good standard. In my field, they either want the idea candidate to have a degree or a HNC with a proven work experience.

Good luck OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport