PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning patio stones

Options
Have been in the house for over 4 years and am guilty of never cleaning the patio paving stones. They are grey and quite dirty. Before I go out and buy some incredibly expensive/usless/highly dangerous chemical cleaner, can anybody please recommend a good old fashioned method to get them clean?

thanks

Maria

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bleach in warm water, pour it on and brush with a stiff brush, is also great for getting rid of that slimy green stuff that appears on mine sometoimes,

hth

• chocomonsta
    chocomonsta Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i also use bleach to clean my patio which is all grey concrete.

Just mix a generous squeeze or two of bleach into a watering can, fill it up with cold water and water the patio. It doesnt need to be rinsed off. The rain seems to clear it and after a day or 2 the patio comes up really bright. I used to scrub with a yard brush, but this works just as well. Hope this helps
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We use neat bleach as we can get it at Netto for £1.49 for 5 litres.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Or borrow a pressure washer - notold fashioned but chemical free.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used bleach on mine last year and the result was very good.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pressure washer is the way to go...much less elbow grease and kinder to the garden than bleach. But not very "old style".

My grandma used to hire my services with dad's pressure washer once a year for a while to do her patio :)
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a pressure washer but beware it throws up muck on you if it doesn't have a shield thingy (yes that is a tech term :) ). I also find it quite a slow process. Pouring on bleach and leaving sounds good and less time consuming :)
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • megasaver
    megasaver Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    A big thank you to eveyone who replied. Although I don't like using bleach, you have all convinced me that is what I should use. I am going out very soon to buy loads of it to use it on my patio. I especially love the idea of not having to work very hard to clean it :j . Just one last question is it better to spray it with thin or thick bleach?
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thin bleach I would have thought. Thick bleach has lots of stuff (detergent, thickner, scent etc) added to make it better for cleaning toilets but there's not much point using it for the garden. Also if you use thin bleach most of the bleach will eventually evaporate whereas thick bleach could leave chemicals left on your slabs.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    Hi all

Can anybody recommend a good (but cheap) way to clean patio slabs and paths please? There is green algae type stuff growing on mine (plus puppy likes to do his business out there)

I have been using dettol mixed with water, and have also tried washing up liqiud but doesn't seem to do much good. I haven't got a tap out the garden so am relying on running back and fore with buckets :o

Any ideas gratefully received :D
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills