Options
2»

Comments

• jonnyd281
    jonnyd281 Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ultimatron wrote: »
    Basically I didn't turn up for a few of the graduate training sessions (and not informing them about the absence), not actual work though.

Anyway does it automatically mean I cannot work in a regulated role?

You were in a paid position, even though it was a Graduate Position, therefore the graduate training sessions are actual work since you are being paid to attend them.

Not attending them would demonstrate to me that you have a poor work ethic, as well as a poor attitude to CPD.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Basically I didn't turn up for a few of the graduate training sessions (and not informing them about the absence), not actual work though.

Anyway does it automatically mean I cannot work in a regulated role?

The references they will take up will be far more detailed for a permanent role than an internship. I can't see any half-decent employer wanting to employ someone who has behaved as you did and as recently as a year ago - you hardly meet the 'fit and proper person' test, do you? From the way you've worded your explanation, I'm not even sure you've understood how serious it is - not surprising you were sacked.

Take heart, though; it doesn't mean you will never be able to work in this field - but you might need to prove yourself elsewhere for a few years before anyone will take the risk.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You will just have to apply for new roles and hope for the best.

If your reference says you consistently failed to turn up for training, you must expect your job offer to be withdrawn.

But none of us can tell as we don't know what will end up going onto your regulated reference.

I think you'll be fine for a non-regulated role. You may also be fine for a regulated role, it depends on what ends up going into your reference.

As others have said, it is completely unacceptable to fail to turn up to work. Training sessions are work - they are part of the job.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    I do not quite agree with the prophets of doom above, if it were me emplying you, if you had an impressive CV, and appeared very willing to learn, and if you were completely honest and contrite about what you now view as a foolish mistake then I might still be happy to employ you.

I!!!8217;d be watching you, though, looking out for a slack attitude.
  • ultimatron
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I agree there is a risk they would not let me on the role, however, because I am going to do an internship first with them, if I impress them with my performance, will that tip the scale in my favour?
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I agree there is a risk they would not let me on the role, however, because I am going to do an internship first with them, if I impress them with my performance, will that tip the scale in my favour?
    It cannot do any harm.

Impressive for an intern includes never, ever being late. A minute late is late. It does not matter what happened on the tube, or the bus, or the night before, or with your alarm, you must be on time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure