Broken pact (pre-Christmas no unnecessary present pact)

Options
2»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Like I said, my husband has tried in the past and got 'Don't you like to receive a present from me then?' Plus at the point it was previously said, we both had schoolage children, now just I do. I think to stop it now would mean my kids don't receive anything from their Aunt, despite us buying for our Neice until well into her 20s, which is why I'd rather review once my youngest is an adult.
    Why are you still buying for your niece who is well into her 20s and doesn't buy you anything back?

Would your family really stop buying presents for your not-yet-adult children?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Why are you still buying for your niece who is well into her 20s and doesn't buy you anything back?

Would your family really stop buying presents for your not-yet-adult children?
    Yes, my sis in law would (stop buying), which is why I'm still buying for my mid 20s Niece who works in a professional job and doesn't buy us anything back. Her mum buys for all 4 of us, me, hubby, her nephew and niece and we buy for sis in law, new husband and Niece.

I have worked it out than all 3 of them hit a special birthday in the same year, 18, 21 and 30 and that is the opportunity I'm going to use to say 'stop' after this. ;)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Yes, my sis in law would (stop buying), which is why I'm still buying for my mid 20s Niece who works in a professional job and doesn't buy us anything back. Her mum buys for all 4 of us, me, hubby, her nephew and niece and we buy for sis in law, new husband and Niece.

I have worked it out than all 3 of them hit a special birthday in the same year, 18, 21 and 30 and that is the opportunity I'm going to use to say 'stop' after this. ;)
    It seems bizarre to me to carry on buying gifts for someone simply so they keep buying gifts for your children.
    And not very MSE.

If it were me, I'd put an instant stop to buying gifts and spend the money on my children.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It seems bizarre to me to carry on buying gifts for someone simply so they keep buying gifts for your children.
    And not very MSE.

If it were me, I'd put an instant stop to buying gifts and spend the money on my children.
    Sis in law doesn't want to stop buying for my husband and me, I have said that several times. I don't see why having bought for my Neice until well into her 20s means I have to make it that my kids won't get a present from their Aunt during their childhood. I have said more than once when I will approach the subject again.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We said no presents after 18 years old- birthday or Christmas.

Oldest ones got presents before younger ones were born and younger ones still got presents after older ones no longer got them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure