And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    chargers, plugs and wires...they rule our house for tablets, phones, ipads, laptops, chromebooks!! I swear we need to arrange our furniture to coordinate with plug sockets!! And they seem to spawn off each other, until you are mega desperate for one and then they all vanish - I swear our eldest is a magician!

You mean you don't already?! ;):D

One of the best things we've done with regards to chargers is change some plug sockets to ones which have direct usb-inputs, as we have way more charging cables than the plug bits (which seem to be non-standard now for phones etc) - makes life just that little bit easier. Have also bought different coloured cables and assigned people a colour to reduce the arguing (hopefully! :D)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Colour coded cables :T:T:T , chargers in our house are safe new looking ones for the adults, bent at tip and wires showing offspring.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I made sure that all my gadgets (apart from the fitbit *grrr*) charge using a micro USB cable so I only need one for everything.

OH has piles of the things. I bought a bag that says "Every charger in the universe! *except for the one you want"

Hope the holiday mode is still going well.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    chargers, plugs and wires...they rule our house for tablets, phones, ipads, laptops, chromebooks!! I swear we need to arrange our furniture to coordinate with plug sockets!! And they seem to spawn off each other, until you are mega desperate for one and then they all vanish - I swear our eldest is a magician!
    greent wrote: »
    You mean you don't already?! ;):D

One of the best things we've done with regards to chargers is change some plug sockets to ones which have direct usb-inputs, as we have way more charging cables than the plug bits (which seem to be non-standard now for phones etc) - makes life just that little bit easier. Have also bought different coloured cables and assigned people a colour to reduce the arguing (hopefully! :D)
    michelle09 wrote: »
    I made sure that all my gadgets (apart from the fitbit *grrr*) charge using a micro USB cable so I only need one for everything.

OH has piles of the things. I bought a bag that says "Every charger in the universe! *except for the one you want"

Hope the holiday mode is still going well.

Holiday mindset is kicking nicely thanks Michelle:)

Glad your all feeling my cable pain:rotfl: greent you have the kindest outlook on things :A. A,spare just in case cable makes it feel much less of a waste and me less of a numpty for not checking - Thank you :eek:

PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great idea from greent about changing the plug sockets. B&Q for me tomorrow...!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Hi, good luck with your plans,
    My mortgage is a little bit bigger than yours, but our plans look similar. I want to retire at 55 in 71/2 years. I'm aiming to get the mortgaged cleared as not to eat into my lump sum... but time will tell. After being a successful MSEer last year, this year I'm taking the scenic route...

Hi MFD :wave:

Thank you so much for dropping in, it sometimes feels a bit odd rambling away to myself (definitely focuses the mind though :D).
    Its great that we are on the same timescale , we can cheer each other on:). I'm going to find your diary and subscribe.
    PS the scenic route sounds just lovely :)

What another odd day of weather . A bright start then pouring rain then a lovely summer's afternoon:)

Whilst it was !!!!!! It down I got down to some MSE domestics. The house is now clean and tidy for when we return from holiday and the ironing is up to date which is a miracle in itself.

We are heading off to the big city tomorrow so I've made a train picnic to save me shelling out for overpriced rubbish. Because its the start of the holidays I wanted it to feel like a treat rather than a cost cutting exercise so I made some sushi and dipping sauces, hummus, cous cous salad, pitta bread and rocky road bars.
    I went to Aldi and bought nectarines, strawberries and grapes plus a few bottles of the sparkling fruit water that DC2 loves. All I need to do in the morning is make myself a take from home coffee.
    The fruit and drinks came to £4.25 but it will last us a couple of days and everything else was using up things I had already so my grocery budget is still intact:)

Successes :)

Visited Mum and Dad
    Packed lunch made
    Train tickets collected
    Vouchers printed off
    Cut back an area of garden as the garden waste bin will be collected while we are away.
    Cleaned the car inside and out . it was awful :o. Looks and smells lovely now though:)
    Fridge emptied and cleaned. Anything that won't be used is in the freezer
    Hoovered
    Ironing done
    Packed except for the things we need in the morning

Finally, I went through my finances and gathered up what was left from July and what isn't accounted for in August and made my first OS payment of £1757 :j

July and August will be a bit of an anomaly with the mortgage starting part way through the month and with savings being amalgamated and large one off bills to be paid. As of 1st Sept £1000 (£800 cost to me) will go into my AVC and £400 will go I to my os mortgage neutral pot. Anything else I can squirrel away will join the os pot as will my holiday, car and annual spends budgets ( I'll get the offset interest off these but as they are spoken for they will not
    count as part of my mortgage neutral fund if that makes sense) .

Off to bed as only one more sleep until my holibobs :j

PP moderate
  • pinkypig
    Options
    ... and super excited, I was awake at 6 am:D

Station taxi (my sister!) booked and everything is packed, coffee is made and picnic just needs moving from the fridge to the cool bag.
    Being such a country bumpkin I love cities:j

Not much news other than we've downloaded some films for the journey (share Amazon Prime and Netflix with my sisters, works out at under £3.50 a month and worth every penny, particularly with teens). I've also got July's free with Prime kindle book to finish and I can take out another on Tuesday so no more holiday reading needed.

Just time for a coffee and and a quick look at the news.

PP x
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Have a lovely time away, I love the sound of your train picnic.
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Have a lovely time away, I love the sound of your train picnic.

Thank you, we are having an exhausting but lovely time :)

My run this morning was amazing, taking me past The Shard, London and Tower bridge, the Tower of London, Borough market ( and The Museum of fashion and textiles when I managed to get lost despite planning a circular route :o) followed if with a quick shower and a full English - a near perfect start to the day :)

We have walked miles and taken advantage of the free museums and generals sight seeing. We have also managed to stay under our daily food/snacks budget so hope we can keep if up!
    Off for half an hour with my feet up before heading out for dinner.

PP x
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Despite best efforts this is not a very mse holiday:eek:
    We are sticking to our daily food budget and making use of the free activities but holiday extras are adding up. Having a really great time though so I'll try and keep things as sensible as I can and will do some belt tightening on my return.
    Glad I've been putting into my holiday budget each month though !

PP x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback