PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Tuesday 9th July 2019

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.

Comments

• silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning all

Very overcast, looks like it is going to rain any moment but it's not forecast so will wait and see. The garden is so dry, water butts are empty.

Not sure what we're doing today.

Thoughts are with all those finding life difficult and our absent friend.

Take care
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning, and thanks SO for starting off.

It's raining here, just lightly, and not cold.

Welcome back Nanny windows, good to "see" you hope you had a good holiday. Glad I'm not the only one who brings back unworn clothes - I seem to favour the hokey cokey style of packing. How it works is like this - you put something in, yes, you think, that'll be useful. Then, no, I might not wear it, take it out. And so on, you get the idea.

Yesterday flew by, I did a bit of ironing last night, there wasn't loads, and I was toying with the idea of clearing it, then I went to put the light on and the bulb went off, in the spare bedroom where I iron. I took that as a sign I shouldn't do any more, it was 9pm anyway.

We'll be heading off today, and stopping for the night at a roughly halfway point.

Thinking of Holly, Gers and her Mum, Poppy, Taff, and our other MIA people.

Take care folks
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Dry here atm and no rain due today which is good, off to work but back down to my lovely cafe today, as suspected I didn't like it as much and I am not keen on the way they do things up there, I was embarrassed to serve the dinner as there were just three small carrot batons per person, there was not enough food on the plate, Carrots cost almost nothing so why not put a few more on ??

Pasta for dinner tonight with salad OH will have garlic bread with his I will have a tidy through upstairs too.

Nels where are you ??? hope all is well xx

Scarlett have a great holiday xx

Have good days all xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,693 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks for starting SILVER-OLDIE. We've had light rain overnight but not enough to do the gardens and pots any good. Since I went on the water meter it breaks my heart to use the hose but the pots get so dry if I don't.

Yesterday I decided to root through hundreds of old photos from the late 50's/60's in readiness for meeting my friend from Oz tomorrow and a trip down memory lane! I now have a batch from 4 holidays, our Girls Brigade days (I played a drum!), the tortuous hike and camp for the D of E Award scheme and just a random selection of general silliness! They should give us a few laughs and take us back many a year!

Yesterday very little got done so I must stir myself into action this morning. DS said he would call in for late lunch and a natter so need to delve in the freezer to find something to feed him with. Still plenty out there but stocks are slowly going down. I dream of the day when I can condense the two freezers into one!

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely and, of course, our absent friends. Take care all xx

ps Happy Holiday and safe travels to SCARLET RIBBONS.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread SO and hugs to all those in need.

I'm the queen of minimal packing, I take just enough and no more, Steve always returns with loads unworn.

Stroke Club today so he'll be tired when he gets home.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning chums!

Yesterday was standard for me. After work I nipped home before going to yoga to them come home and collapse into bed.

Whilst I was home, my front door was knocked, which given that I live in a flat, never happens. So I answered to find a neighbour say that they smell gas coming from my gas meter and maybe it's worth checking. I was surprised at myself for being so startled that I didn't ask any questions. Instead, I thanked them for letting me know and said I'll investigate. It wasn't until he left that I had all the questions; who are you? Which flat are you in? How could smell gas from MY gas meter when all the gas meters are in the same place? Also, all the gas meters are outside, so how could you be so certain? Anyway, I told my landlord and she's getting someone to come and check to be safe.

Been to the gym this morning and I was planning on going tonight too but there's football on that I'd like to see, so perhaps not. Pesto chicken with veg for dinner tonight.

No NSD yesterday as I needed some groceries. Still on 6.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,073 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 9 July 2019 at 8:09AM
    Options
    Morning everyone.

It's damp outside again, the forecast isn't good for this week. I may need to get some wet weather shoes, the two pairs I brought with me in March aren't suitable for prolonged rain.

Yesterday's visitor for DM was a lovely lady and they both really enjoyed the time together. I served up prawn mayo sandwiches and then raspberries with cream. DM only ate a quarter of her sandwich over two hours though she also ate the pudding.

As for packing...I too go for minimal. I once spent two weeks in Oz with the contents of a carry on suitcase. It was much easier and stress less.

I'm aiming to go into town later this morning for a wander.

My thoughts to all those struggling and to those not currently posting.

Happy Tuesday to all.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning and thank you for starting today's thread silver-oldie.

I am at minimal packer too - I have not actually been on holiday for 26 years but I do have an occasional few days away to see friends and I sometimes used to have to work away from home - so needed at least half a carry on case for my laptop. I remember going to a Greek island for 3 weeks, one soft grip for us both and that had to contain enough books for me.

I have some jobs to do today but nothing taxing.

Hope everyone is as ok as possible, I'm missing OL and Nelski and Holly as well as others, we do seem a bit depleted.

Better post this before tablet decides to bite the dust.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,424 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all.
    I'm a bit late today but we have been out hunting and gathering, mainly fruit, veg, milk and bread as my fridge and fruit bowl were empty.
    Mr Fix it needed petrol first, so I decided to go on to shop in Morries. I put 2 things in the trolley and then noticed things seemed to have shot up in price, so the items went back and scooted over to Al*is. I made the right choice and saved myself at least a tenner :j.
    I am having a coffee before finishing putting the shopping away and the DW is already on. After lunch I will attack the grass with the mower. Yesterday I filled a small green bin with ferns, weeds and lots of crocosmia stems, which have sprung up during my absence. I've tried to get rid of the latter but they keep on coming up in all sorts of places :(
    I steeled myself last night and got on the weighing scales and to my surprise..... and joy, I've only put on 2lbs :j. But it's back on the diet train now, so tea tonight will be a pork stir fry, with lots of veg.
    ScarlettR hope I'm not too late to wish you a really good holiday.
    Speky hope all is OK with the gas and it's better to be safe than sorry.
    TA enjoy your trip down memory lane and the get together with your OZ pal.
    Right lunch calls then I must get the mower out :(. Give me a shove someone !
    Take care all, thinking of the poorly ones and the MIA's.
    Hugs nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure