Partners daughter not registered at our address with the child benefit office.

Options
I recently moved in with my girlfriend and her daughter. I contacted the CMS who said there would be no reduction in the maintenance as my girlfriends daughter has not been registered with the child benefit office at our address since September 2013. My girlfriends daughter has only ever lived at the address we now live at. My girlfriend spilt up with her ex in August 2013. I think he told the child benefit office their daughter was living with him so he could get a reduction in the amount of maintenance he was paying to one of his ex’s. The problem is my girlfriend has been earning over £50,000 for the last 4 years so if we tell the child benefit office that her daughter has lived at our address all along we’ll get a tax bill of about £4,000. Is there an easy way out of this? Could we tell the Child benefit office that my girlfriends daughter has been at our address since October 2018 or something? Then we’d have to register for self assessment this October and declare it next January.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where does the daughter reside?

You get the discount, child benefit or not, if her primary residence is with yourselves.

But obviously claiming child benefit suggests she lives elsewhere?
  • Wrighty1977
    Options
    My partners daughter lives with us. She stays at her Dads every Wednesday night and every other weekend. The child benefir gets paid into my girlfriends account every month but the child maintenance service say they won't reduce the maintenance because, according to the child benefit office, she is registered at a different address. They wouldn't give me the address and my partner is yet to ring up because we're worried about the tax bill we'll get from the HMRC.
  • Comms69
    Options
    My partners daughter lives with us. She stays at her Dads every Wednesday night and every other weekend. The child benefir gets paid into my girlfriends account - how? every month but the child maintenance service say they won't reduce the maintenance because, according to the child benefit office, she is registered at a different address. They wouldn't give me the address and my partner is yet to ring up because we're worried about the tax bill we'll get from the HMRC.

What tax bill?? That's very confusing.

Are you receiving child benefit direct from the state to her account?

If so it's the prosecution, rather than the tax bill id be worried about
  • Wrighty1977
    Options
    No, the child benefit gets paid into my partners account. My partner has been earning over £50,000 for the last 4 years so she should've been paying tax on the child benefit she has received. Because my partners daughter is registered at a different she has received no correspondence from the child benefit office so she was unaware of this. If we say my partners daughter has been living with us all along we will have to pay tax on the child benefit my partner has been received over the last 4 years. The child maintenance service won't reduce the child maintenance until my partners daughter is registered with the child benefit office at our address. Is there an easy way we can register my partners daughter at our address?
  • Comms69
    Options
    No, the child benefit gets paid into my partners account. - from who? My partner has been earning over £50,000 for the last 4 years so she should've been paying tax on the child benefit she has received. - In essence it sounds like benefit fraud. That's a criminal offence. That's potentially job lost. And possibly (granted unlikely) prison time Because my partners daughter is registered at a different she has received no correspondence from the child benefit office so she was unaware of this. - What do you mean unaware of it. The £50k soft cap has been well advertised. If we say my partners daughter has been living with us all along we will have to pay tax on the child benefit my partner has been received over the last 4 years. (and probably go to court) The child maintenance service won't reduce the child maintenance until my partners daughter is registered with the child benefit office at our address. Is there an easy way we can register my partners daughter at our address?
    Yes you can start a fresh claim. BUT expect the ex to report her for all this
  • Wrighty1977
    Options
    The child benefit gets paid into my partners account from the child benefit office, doesn't everyone elses?

As far as my partner was aware nothing had changed, she only found out her daughter was registered at another address when I contacted the child maintenance service. She was not the one who told the child benefit office her daughter had moved so I do not think she has committed fraud. She certainly did not tell the child benefit office her daughter had moved to avoid paying tax on the child benefit she was receiving.

The fact you have to pay tax on child benefit if one parent receives more than £50,000 a year my have been well advertised but neither me nor my partner were aware of it until we looked into it.

According to the child benefit office my partners daughter has been registered at another address since September 2013. This is one month after my partner and her ex split up which seems coincidental. I think my partners ex told the child benefit office their daughter was living with him (as I stated in my original post) so he could get a reduction in the amount of maintenance he was paying to another one of his ex's. If he has done this I do not see how he can report my partner for anything.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    They wouldn't give me the address and my partner is yet to ring up because we're worried about the tax bill we'll get from the HMRC.

They wouldn't give you any information because you have no direct relationship with the child. It is up to the parents to get the address issue sorted out.
    As others have said, you need to contact HMRC and get things sorted. The problem isn't going to disappear, and will only get worse when, and not if, the tax situation is spotted by HMRC. By burying your heads in the sand you are only making a bad situation much worse.
  • Wrighty1977
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    They wouldn't give you any information because you have no direct relationship with the child. It is up to the parents to get the address issue sorted out.
    As others have said, you need to contact HMRC and get things sorted. The problem isn't going to disappear, and will only get worse when, and not if, the tax situation is spotted by HMRC. By burying your heads in the sand you are only making a bad situation much worse.

I wouldn’t say we’re burying our heads in the sand. We only found out a week ago and are seeing how much we owe and what our options are. My partner went on the child benefit’s self service website and worked out we’d have to pay about £4,000. Would we have to pay that in one go? I think any benefit she had to pay tax on from April 2017 to March 2018 should’ve been declared at the end of January this year any she had to pay tax on from April 2018 to March 2019 will have to be declared at the end of January next year.
  • Comms69
    Options
    The child benefit gets paid into my partners account from the child benefit office, doesn't everyone elses? - Yes. But if the ex was claiming the Child Benefit, then I would expect him to get it...

As far as my partner was aware nothing had changed, she only found out her daughter was registered at another address when I contacted the child maintenance service. - NO. that's not what you said. You said she was complicit in a fraud (twice) 1: to lower the exes liability for CM; and once for falsely claiming child benefit payments... She was not the one who told the child benefit office her daughter had moved so I do not think she has committed fraud. - yes she has, twice. She certainly did not tell the child benefit office her daughter had moved to avoid paying tax on the child benefit she was receiving. - yes that's what everyone would say isn't it.

The fact you have to pay tax on child benefit if one parent receives more than £50,000 a year my have been well advertised but neither me nor my partner were aware of it until we looked into it. - Well that's unfortunate. It's her job to know.

According to the child benefit office my partners daughter has been registered at another address since September 2013. This is one month after my partner and her ex split up which seems coincidental. I think my partners ex told the child benefit office their daughter was living with him (as I stated in my original post) so he could get a reduction in the amount of maintenance he was paying to another one of his ex's. If he has done this I do not see how he can report my partner for anything.

Quite easily. I'm not even being sanctimonious about it. But if you're going to continue denying it all, it's not going to help you solve it.
  • Comms69
    Options
    I wouldn’t say we’re burying our heads in the sand. We only found out a week ago and are seeing how much we owe and what our options are. My partner went on the child benefit’s self service website and worked out we’d have to pay about £4,000. Would we have to pay that in one go? I think any benefit she had to pay tax on from April 2017 to March 2018 should’ve been declared at the end of January this year any she had to pay tax on from April 2018 to March 2019 will have to be declared at the end of January next year.

Generally yes this would be payable immediatly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport