Challenging council tax banding

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know how it is possible to challenge a banding (in England) when all other houses in the street or estate are in the same band so I can’t fulfil that part of the criteria?

We have moved into a tiny one bedroom bungalow with a very small garden. It’s sheltered housing so is owned by a Housing Association. There are one and two bedroom Bungalows in the same street, and all are in Band B.

I’ve looked up the banding of one bedroom housing association bungalows in several other roads in my town and all are in Band A, however they weren’t built at the same time, nor are they on the same estate so don’t meet the criteria.

Also as they are HA Bungalows there are no sale prices to look at.

Should I just forget about challenging the band and keep paying for band B? 😟

Thanks in advance. 😊

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 February 2019 at 4:49PM
    Options
    If the Band A bungalows are in streets of a similar desirability to yours, it might be worth a challenge. But if for example the Band As are in the middle of a sink estate and your bungalow is in a nice residential area, then they won't be much use in your case.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Lolly_T
    Options
    If the Band A bungalows are in streets of a similar desirability to yours, it might be worth a challenge. But if for example the Band As are in the middle of a sink estate and your bungalow is in a nice residential area, then they won't be much use in your case.

Thanks.

A lot of the others are actually in nicer areas although there’s not much in it, but I think I’m going to struggle to make comparisons based on age of property (ours are 1980s and most of the others look about 1960s), and proximity as the nearest are a couple of miles away across town.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As yours was built in the 1980s, there is a possibility a previous occupier may have appealed but failed. I think the worst that could happen if you appealed would be the Band As would be increased, so it may be worth your while.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure