Simple Guide for Instagram??

Options
Is there any kind of idiot-guide for basic Instagram use for entering competitions please?
I really have no clue as to what you're actually meant to do, to be able to enter Instagram comps!
I've had a look in the Forums and can't find anything, but would be extremely grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction! Am I the only one??? Duh :(

Comments

• Jasper1934
    Options
    This would be very helpful.

I have a similar problem with "tagging friends" on Facebook. I only use these sites for entering competitions and am therefore not very familiar with their layout and procedures. Google isn't very helpful, so I also would be grateful for an "idiot's guide".
  • deb2112
    deb2112 Posts: 380 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2019 at 3:34PM
    Options
    Most instagram comps ask you to:
    1) follow the page (click the blue follow button at the top),
    2) like the post (click in the outline of the heart- it will turn red) and
    3) tag friends.
    You tag by typing your instagram friends' handles in the message box and then press enter. The handle will start with @. Mine is @debbiedaydream8000. Feel free to tag me if you need virtual friends to get you started.

Read carefully as some ask for multiple tags in one comment, while others will give you an entry for every friend you tag in separate comments. Tagging lots of friends sounds like a good idea but if they all tag lots of people too, you're actually reducing your chances. I tend to stick to a few tags per comp.

When you've got the basics: Some comps will ask for additional input from you by asking you to repost, or share to your stories. I'd avoid these until you've mastered the basics, but when you're ready:

Stories are easy as you click the little arrow shape next to the speech bubble sign and then click "add to stories".

Reposting involves taking a screenshot and then following the instructions that come up on the screen to post to your feed. You'll need to tag the competition runner in the message box just before you finish, so they know you have reposted.

One thing to note is that certain instagram features can't be accessed on a PC, including direct messaging, so I'd advise having the app on your phone, even if you do most of the comps on a PC- as this may well be the only way you can give address details etc should you win anything. Also, if a comp runner messages you to tell you that you've won, you may never find out.
  • matphil
    matphil Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    deb2112 wrote: »

Stories are easy as you click the little arrow shape next to the speech bubble sign and then click "add to stories".

This seems to only work on a phone as well, just tried it and wouldn't do it on my laptop, it only gave me the options to share to facebook, twitter or email, worked ok on my phone though.
  • deb2112
    deb2112 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    As matphil mentions, adding to and viewing stories and reposting are more things that you can't do on a PC as is using emojis. Theoretically there may be a way if you use a user agent switch extension on your browser and switch to a mobile browser such as iOS or Android, although I've never tried this. I mainly comp on my laptop but use my phone for Instagram unless it is a basic, follow, like, tag sort of comp.
  • Joolski
    Joolski Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you so much to all who have answered - especially deb2112, for taking the time to give all this info - very much appreciated! Meanwhile I have been clicking around and think I've got the hang of the basics. I think what was confusing me so much to begin with, is exactly what you have mentioned: that some things are only available through the App! Anyway, thanks very much for helping.
  • GW78
    GW78 Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can do emojis on your laptop, either copy one from a comment on the post and paste it with your text or if the one you want isn't there go on to twitter (or other site) to access the whole lot & copy which ever you want from there.
    You will need to use your phone to access your messages which I recommend doing regularly in case you get a DM to say you've won. When I first started using IG I didn't know & I had a win sitting there for three weeks, luckily there wasn't a claim time limit!
    Thanks to the members that post competitions, especially the regulars :A
  • Joolski
    Joolski Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    GW78, lucky you were still able to claim the prize!
    Thanks for the heads-up about DM not being available through the laptop - I hadn't realised that!
    But I have been going back & forwards between the App and the laptop anyway, so if a lucky DM came my way I should see it...! (Are those pigs still flying overhead??)
  • escapevelocity
    Options
    GW78 wrote: »
    You can do emojis on your laptop, either copy one from a comment on the post and paste it with your text or if the one you want isn't there go on to twitter (or other site) to access the whole lot & copy which ever you want from there.
    If you're using Windows 10 and have the latest updates installed, you should be able to access the emoji panel by pressing the Windows Key + Full Stop (.) at the same time. Very useful!

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/emoji-panel-windows-10/
    WINS // 5 PRIZES IN 2021 // 2021 PRIZE TOTAL £61,000+ 🤯 // 86 PRIZES IN 2020 // 2020 PRIZE TOTAL £9,467 // 41 PRIZES IN 2019 // 2019 PRIZE TOTAL £15,365 //
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure