Changed mind after accepting job

Options
Hi all

After redundancies got announced at my current employer I started quite a hectic job search. I got offered a role quickly, not as much money as I'd have hoped for and poor location but with unemployment looming I accepted and signed on the dotted line, with a start date of the end of September.

Another offer has since came in which is better for me in pretty much every way, so I'm going to have to now decline the first one. I'll do this very apologetically and humbly, but from what I read there's a chance (albeit a slim one) they could take action against me. The contract they sent states that for the first three months either the employee or employer can terminate the employment without notice, so I'm not sure if that puts me in the clear.

Anyone ever done anything like this before? I feel horrendous about it and had it not been for the redundancies at my current work I wouldn't have done it.

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just write a letter (sent by recorded delivery) that states you are increidbly grateful for the opportunity but due to circumstances you are no longer in a position to accept the offer of employment.

I had to do it once & it wasnt nice to do but there wasn't any issue.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VERY slim chance.... it'd be an exceptional skillset/job/company where they bothered.

For my very first full-time job after leaving education I got a job offer that I took up - then got another job offer paying 15% more that was based closer to town (a ½ mile less of a walk and without having to go over the bridge and the 2nd job offer was a nice/new office whereas offer 1 was a grubby old fashioned hell hole) ....

So I phoned up the first to tell them I wasn't going to take the job. My word that man ripped me a new one over the phone, I can still feel the emotions of the horror of that call nearly 40 years later... but that was the end of it after he'd ranted about having already told everybody else they didn't get it and what a nuisance I was. 4rseh0le.... I hope he got his just desserts.
  • gonthemicrobe
    Options
    Cheers for the quick replies, much appreciated! I was going to do it via e-mail to the HR manager today but is recorded delivery the way to go? I wasn't sure whether or not to mention the other job or just go down the vague "circumstances" route.

After accepting the job I found some horrendous reviews on Glassdoor and they re-advertised the job the day after I accepted so I'm pretty sure they will have a backup. These issues gave me bad feeling about the role so relieved I'm not taking it, but I still feel like a snake!
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't worry; happens all the time. I always have a backup in mind when starting a new employee as many people send out many applications and then accept the first return before a better offer comes along. It's a tough job market. I know we pay less than some other comparable positions so I shrug and offer it to the next on the list. Sometimes they quit a few days in but even then we have never taken action. What's the point in that. There's always someone else who wants/needs the job.
  • gonthemicrobe
    Options
    Cheers again everyone, I'll contact them today.

Should I tell them it's due to another offer, or just give them a vague "sorry but due to a change in circumstances..."?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Should I tell them it's due to another offer, or just give them a vague "sorry but due to a change in circumstances..."?

If you're hoping they'll up their salary offer then the former. If not, then the latter sounds more diplomatic and less mercenary.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    This happens all the time. You have to do what's best for you. I'd say seeing as you haven't started yet that's a plus. A simple letter apologising is sufficient. Well done on the offer and hope it works out well!
  • gonthemicrobe
    Options
    Excellent, really appreciate all the replies thanks a lot!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure