Csa

Options
I work, my other half does not. How does this effect him paying child maintence for his children. I knew he had children when we got together. I have a house in my name and i'm the breadwinner, but we are not married.

He does pay money, i just wandered about it. Is it now based on my salary? even though we're not married? Just struggling at the mo. I know i shouldn't look to cut corners with the kids. But the way i'm feeling now, the financial pressure is too much for me. I sometimes think about just being single again to have a bit of extra money. SELFISH, YES. Just so broke. I want to keep me house. I don't have an extravagant lifestyle at all. Just sick of struggling while his x wife has quite a nice life, kids have the newest computers etc. AHH, i'm having a bad day. Roll on pay day!!!

Comments

• Saeed
    Saeed Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    as far as i am aware if your partner has no earnings to decalre he doenot have any csa maintenance .if he earns £100 it is a flat rate of a £5 if it £200 a week its £10 a week. an earning greater than £200 is charged depening on no' of children starting at 15% for 1 child through to 25% if over 3 children go to local CAB to get be fully informed a d appeal any decsion made by csa
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Options
    I'm confused :confused: you are not married, these are not your children but your partner's and you are paying for them???

Why are your wages anything to do with your partner's children, i think i would be looking into this very closely if this was me.
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ysoskint wrote:
    I work, my other half does not. How does this effect him paying child maintence for his children. I knew he had children when we got together. I have a house in my name and i'm the breadwinner, but we are not married.

He does pay money, i just wandered about it. Is it now based on my salary? even though we're not married? Just struggling at the mo. I know i shouldn't look to cut corners with the kids. But the way i'm feeling now, the financial pressure is too much for me. I sometimes think about just being single again to have a bit of extra money. SELFISH, YES. Just so broke. I want to keep me house. I don't have an extravagant lifestyle at all. Just sick of struggling while his x wife has quite a nice life, kids have the newest computers etc. AHH, i'm having a bad day. Roll on pay day!!!

Is this a CSA assessment that he is paying? If so, it is an out of date one. Has he actually notified them that he is no longer working? Is this an old or a new case? If an old case then there will be a nil assessment and if a new style one there would be a flat rate of £5 per week.

Under neither of these schemes should any maintenance be based on your income details. However, if he hasn't notified them of his change in status, then he will have the liability that existed before - it is up to him to tell them that he is no longer working. They can't backdate the nil assessment because it was up to him to tell them he isn't working so you won't get a refund I'm afraid.
  • kelloggs36
    Options
    He may be paying voluntarily in which case you need to put your foot down if you feel that you can't afford it. You could try and come to an amicable arrangment with the PWC as it would be unfair to make her struggle to bring up the children on less income. Why does your partner not work? Does he look after your children? It would seem morally wrong for him to do this but not look after his own children, unless of course he looks after his own children for part of the week. Just my opinion!
  • ysoskint
    ysoskint Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, thank you all for great advice. We pay at an arrangement come to a few years back when my boyfriend was working. It is not through the CSA. We all get on quite well, but I can't help feeling rubbish when i come back from visiting them and they have new everything and we have most stuff second hand. Maybe I'll talk to her about it. I just don't want to rock the boat with his contact with the children. But we are struggling so much right now. Boyfriend doesn't work due to depression and an old injury. He is at home with our kids although they are at school during the day. I just don't know what to do for the best. Just sick of struggling, as i know we all are!!
  • welshcakes
    Options
    I was working whilst my partner was not(long term disabled). We went without (as did my children who live with us) so that we could contribute to his son's upkeep, who lived with the mum. Not even an arrangement, just something I was comfortable doing for my partner, as it made him feel of some value to his son's life; his son never bothered seeing dad but that doesn't stop dad loving him does it?

Anyway, I had to give up work last year as my partner has a degenrative disability and he needed 24 hr help. The mum knew this but still would text every so often asking for money to help out. We have scrapped always managed to find a little money to hand over however when she rang two days before Christmas, my partner said sorry we had nothing to spare, she made him feel awful by saying they would be having chippolatas for Christmas Day Dinner. It absolutely devastated my partner (esp since he knew she had been out on the lash clubbing with girlfriends the night before). I had him ring her back and ask if his son would like to come to us for dinner on the day - she refused.

So I guess I am saying that we have learnt not to give when we simply cannot afford. Instead, we say if he needs important things like school shoes, trainers etc, let us know in good time and if we can, we'll get the money together and take him to buy them. At least we know where our money is going and that my partner feels he is being a responsible parent.

Buy things instead of giving hard cash.

If she's leading a good lifestyle, put money into child savings accounts not in hers.
    Integrity is a dying art!:p
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    ysoskint wrote:
    Hello, thank you all for great advice. We pay at an arrangement come to a few years back when my boyfriend was working. It is not through the CSA. We all get on quite well, but I can't help feeling rubbish when i come back from visiting them and they have new everything and we have most stuff second hand. Maybe I'll talk to her about it. I just don't want to rock the boat with his contact with the children. But we are struggling so much right now. Boyfriend doesn't work due to depression and an old injury. He is at home with our kids although they are at school during the day. I just don't know what to do for the best. Just sick of struggling, as i know we all are!!

You're not married to him. It's your house. It's your life. Get your bf to have a CSA assessment and stop paying so much. If he feels guilty, he'll just have to find a way to deal with it. Why are you scrimping and paying to bring his children up, especially if you have your own? :eek:
  • kelloggs36
    Options
    Yoskint - do you get maintenance for your children? That would help if it is possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure