PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Welcome to all the new faces!

No spend food wise but I do need to report £7.45 on some razor refills from Amaz0n - cheaper here than in the SM or B0ots/S.Drug
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Aldahbra wrote: »
    Hello to all the newbies and welcome to the thread.

I'm a bit worried by this, milk it the main source of calcium, are you sure that they still getting enough when their milk is diluted? Children can only use calcium to strengthen bones up to about 20 after that it is all about maintaining what you've already got. So if you don't get enough calcium as a child then there is nothing you can do about it later. It is important that we women keep our levels up too.

http://www.osteoporosis.ca/index.php/ci_id/5535/la_id/1.htm

I found this site, it is Canadian and they do recommend slightly higher daily amounts but the British sites are rubbish, they either talk about so many glasses of milk etc I don't know about everyone else but the glasses in my cupboard range from 30 ml(1floz) to 650 ml (a pint and a bit), or they have some convoluted point system to learn.

I don't worry about it at all as they have a fab diet. They have yoghurts etc quite a lot too.

A lot of folk dont even realise that coke/caffeine drinks prevent calcium absorption. My kids don't touch the stuff so their bodies can utilise all the calcium that their diet includes pretty well.

I totally understand your point though :beer:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • jedi82
    jedi82 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    No prob - it's nice sometimes to add a little chorizo too - just chopped and fried with the bacon :) When I have some extra budget money I buy one of the horseshoe shaped chorizos and use about a finger length at a time - makes things taste lovely and smoky.

K xx

I only discovered chorizo recently and can't believe what a difference it makes to things! It now has to go in my chilli, pasta sauces and the other day I fried it with some asparagus and then grated a tiny bit of cheese on top (parmesan would have been better but didn't have any) - it was delish!!!!!

Jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi All,

Mostly I just lurk, and read all your words of wisdom... sometimes I read the posts in the wrong order...

I did that today, and look what I read... Lol! x

On a better note, has anyone else tried MrA's SPrice shampoo for 20p? I've been using it this week, and I can't stop telling people about it! My hair is so soft, it feels like I've used some expensive conditioner, but it's just the shampoo

Kitchenbunny - I have - it was OK but I would add a few drops of vanilla extract and some pureed fruit to make it less custardy - strawberries are good ...

I'm still giggling now x

thats brilliant :T:T

nipped into £land with DD1 and spent £13 on weight [EMAIL="w@tchers"]w@tchers[/EMAIL] stuff :eek: then popped into morr!$ons and got some chocolate for fathers day £3 ish

HM bolognaise with pasta and courgette pieces for tea and greek yoghurt for pud

at work all day tomorrow so will sort some chicken legs to go in the slow cooker with some red peppers ( jar from AF), onion and seasoning
  • tjp70
    tjp70 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PC is back up and running and I have calculated that I have spent £132 so far which puts me on track for my target.

NSD today which is no surprise in view of the rain.

Off to make JJ's herby bread for the first time.
    If Plan A fails, remember there are 25 more letters
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,967 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Hehe!!

I am happy to admit that I have a lot to learn still which is why I LOVE this thread. Everyone has great ideas and it is a veritable storehouse of knowledge:)

I don't mind jam that requires spooning on my scones!
    As long as it tastes yum, I'm happy.
    I bet using preserving sugar instead of regular could help it along a little.

Cheers for sharing :beer:
    I only ever used granulated sugar for jam making - cheaper and works fine.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3129 May - 42/28
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £20.09/£100 NSD - 85
    2024 Craft Makes - 213 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Kitchenbunny- thanks for the risotto recipe, its YUM! Eating it as we 'speak'! Added chilli, garlic and some frozen veg too, and omg, i'll definitely be making it again!
    Wrote on the 'what are you having for dinner tonight' thread, and posted this recipe for someone else as they thought it sounded lovely too!
    Its already a hit!!
  • Samantha22
    Samantha22 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've had to buy ice cream, and two litres of cranberry light juice, yesterday. So, have added £5.38 to my signature.

Had stuffed roast pork for Sunday lunch, with hm roast potatoes, carrots, green beans, mashed potatoes, and gravy. We had apple strudel, and ice cream to follow.

Yummy, but too many calories:rotfl:

Plenty of pork left over, so will make some sort of concoction later on this evening.

Hope you are all well, and that you had an enjoyable weekend, despite the rain.

Regards,
    Sam22:)
    Feb GC: - £0/£200 beginning Feb 3rd 2015
    Multiple Catalogues: £3,500 due (approx.) Must sort!
    Capital One CC: £ 500.00 to be paid back asap
    Aqua CC: £ 250.00 to be paid back asap
    Vanquis CC: £500.00 to be paid back asap
    Current Weight: 13st 2lbs - Ideal weight: 10st
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2012 at 6:50PM
    Options
    A £2.72 spend on milk today. Have made some cereal bars with a view to switching the children to packed lunches - they're still setting but they look gorgeous.
    DSCF5109.jpg

Edit: they taste gorgeous too but have just realised I put nuts in them so can't put them in school packed lunches. Doh! Now have nothing to put in tomorrow's packed lunch.

DH & I are having BBQ pork chops tonight, with couscous probably since we have tonnes of the stuff.
    My parents always made freezer strawberry jam and it was always runny but always delicious!
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all, spent another £41.41 between mr m and a!d! Although that did include 2 bottles of wine (one hidden in the wardrobe for next week!). Should be stocked up on frozen stuff for a couple of weeks.

Kids are having leftover sausages in a tomato sauce for tea, we're having 'leftovers' risotto and there's a bolognaise sauce bubbling away in the slow cooker for tomorrow/freezer.

Right, must start tomorrow's packed lunches!
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills